Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Night Chit Chat

Thanks to our muse, Carla, for hosting Sunday Night Chit Chat.

What am I reading?
I finished The Winter Palace and have begun The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. It was on my to read list since last summer I think. I remember writing about it. Perhaps I will even hit the library and borrow the video for my week off. Is it out in video yet???

What am I watching?

I caught some of the Scotties Tournament of Hearts today on TSN. I watched  a bit yesterday too. For those outside of 'the know', the scotties is the Canadian Women's Tournament for Curling. It's hosted in Red Deer, Alberta this year. My family (and extended) are all curlers (or have been in the past). The school districts were yesterday and my niece and nephew both did very very well. 

What am I listening to?

The simpsons's 500th episode. wheeee

What am I cooking/baking?

The banana muffins never made it last week so they went in the oven this morning and smelled terrific. Sometimes I think the smell of baking or cooking can be even better than the taste. lol

What am I happy I accomplished this week?

I am happy that even though I was busy and exhausted, I kept slugging away at things to try to keep up. If I don't, then my house is a disaster by Friday and that's a real downer for the weekend.

What am I looking forward to this coming week?

Time off!!!! Time to clean. Time to cook. Time to read. Time to go for walks in the sunshine. Time to get some work done at school - organize, copy and plan plan plan.

What am I thankful for today?

Today my son finished his minor hockey 'career'. He started when he was four and has played for 13 years. That is a lot of early mornings, road trips, time in the rink, Timmies. A lot of pride watching him grow and learn. A lot of clenched teeth and breath held in close games. A lot of bitten back words when we've lost or when the reffing has been terrible. A lot of happy joy when we've won, especially those games we never expected to win. His hockey has taken us across Western Canada and one trip to Europe. It has given us friends and experiences we never would have had otherwise. I learned about 50/50s, raffle tables, ministicks and politics. I learned about layered clothing, 'tipples' and who has the best rink fries. I learned how to talk or comment behind my hand so that I could mutter what I needed to but no one needed to hear :-) I don' t even want to think about how much it has cost us over the years. I'd rather think of what it gave my son, and us.

4 comments:

Rose said...

I have not read The Help, but I did watch the movie. It made me cry several times, and after I finish the Hunger Games trilogy, I will buy The Help to read.

~Carla~ said...

I loved The Help! The movie is out, and it's pretty good too! Enjoy your week! :)

Jennifer said...

I hear ya on the smell, some things smell so devine while cooking that you don't want to ruin it by eating!

Have a great week, it sounds like it is full already!

Jane said...

Yes, I believe The Help is now available on DVD rental. I saw it at the theatre and it was soooo good! Michael made banana bread yesterday and the house smelled so good for hours afterwards.
You will miss some parts of the minor hockey world. When Kazi stopped highland dancing after 11 years (she started when she was 4 too) is was bitter sweet. Yes, it cost a small fortune but is took us all over Canada, we made amazing friends, celebrated the wins together and made the best of the losses. I still miss those days and all of the time we spent together.