Captain Obvious flew in today to point out something that I wasn't able to 'get' on my own: those meds I am on.....hey I gotta pay for those!
I know....pure rocket science.
I hadn't really REALLY connected that I am at that stage of life where meds will be a forever thing for me now. Money. every month.
and silly me....I had no budget line for it. I have my own forever (daily) meds that will be with me til the end of time. I have the vitamin supplements that are recommended to take. I also have DS2's forever meds for his condition.
DS2's were previously 100% covered between DH and my health plans but since DH is still on probation at his new job, they are not fully covered anymore. Only $5 a refill. but still $5 that has to come from somewhere. My forever meds are about $5 each. Not sure if they will be less when DH's new health plan kicks in. I started taking them after he switched jobs. The temp meds were just those. temporary, but still cost. $20 here and $15 there. The supplements I will continue with. I actually have a good habit of regularly taking them now and I don't want to go back to sporadic remembering as I used to be. So I will have to price out what those will cost me a month as well.
I recognize how very very lucky I am to have insurance that pays for most of the costs of these meds. I can see how quickly and painfully this would add up for someone on a limited outcome without insurance. Beyond frightening.
I am not complaining, more just advertising that I was not smart enough to think that this money would need to come from somewhere, regularly. Up til now I was just pulling it out of grocery money or my spending money or the account I have set aside for annual payments (costco, insurance, CAA, etc).
In the next couple months I will be retinkering with the budget lines and I need to remember to price out what my costs are and include them in for each month.
I write this from my desktop downstairs as my laptop still won't let me get to the post box. Annoying but not the end of the world. My big orange tomcat is sitting on the mouse, as though he were hatching an egg, purring his head off. He does love to sit on the computer desk and hand out with whoever is down here.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
5 comments:
Yeah, I have good insurance also, read my last few blogs! Medical is killing me, but I pay for it so I won't die:)
Great reminder! Hubby has "forever" meds too but your post reminded me to look into our insurance because I heard that when he turns 65 his coverage will change to some type of split between military insurance and Medicare so I think prescription costs will go up then. I better make a budget line item for this too!
It's hard to remember every single item we have to pay for - I'm forever "tinkering". I have a misc budget line that varies from month to month but it's been a big help, as long as the amounts aren't very big.
Hmm. Thanks door food for thought...my doctor just recommended physio for my arm....at$45 a pop. My medical will pay back some of that, about half, and maxes out at $200 a year. I need to find a spot to add that in somewhere, or else that will be my entertainment for the month!
It's alright, stuff like that sneaks up on you, especially after they have been under the radar for so long. I think I'd do exactly the same thing you were doing: sweeping it under the rug of either groceries or personal expenses, and not notice it for a very long time...
Post a Comment