His name is Mr. Murphy. He stopped by earlier this week and decided my freezer had done it's time. DS2 texted me to say he went to get something out of it and it was distinctly.......softer than it should have been.
I told him to text his father, who came home at lunch to confirm it was indeed game over for my chest freezer. No amount of tinkering would bring it back to life.
Now there are a couple of things Mr. Murphy failed to consider.
1) We got this freezer for free from my brother in law about 12 years ago. It's a medium sized one. Please don't make me go downstairs to try to find the cubic feet sticker. It's about 4 feet long. It was used when we got it, from his restaurant. He was re doing his kitchen there. It fit perfectly in our basement furnace/laundry room. Again, no cost to us :-)
2) We DO need a freezer. More than we have in our upside down fridge. We do have, however, 2 of the small 5 or 7 cubic feet freezers in our garage. The ones which are almost square. We got those when DH's parents passed on. One was from the house and one was from their teeny lake property. Both are in pretty good shape and we were hanging on to them for the boys when they moved out. Cost to us.... $0
Together they should give us about the same amount of space as before. Then we don't have to buy a bigger one right away and can watch for a sale. This weekend we will take the old one out of the basement, dutifully remove the lid for safety and take it to the landfill where they have a pile of such appliances that hopefully go to some recycle depot somewhere. Then we can move those other two downstairs, if they fit the same space. That will free up garage room.
Now I am in NO way flaunting Murphy or mocking him, or bragging that we evaded him. He is a wily creature and does a good job of finding folks when they least expect us. Karma has a way of finding you.
Instead I will praise Murphy for reminding us that it only takes a moment for an Emergency to come along. One needs to be prepared.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
8 comments:
Great solution to the problem! Hopefully you didn't lose much, if any, food from the freezer malfunction!
I had a tiny, tiny, apartment sized freezer, that was not cutting it with three kids. Found a one year old freezer on the buy and sell for $125, then sold my little one for $60 on the buy and sell....new freezer is now only $65, and I am thrilled with the extra space! Good thing you have an extra one!
Sounds like the perfect solution, vboy that Murphy was really kind and considerate during his brief stay:)
Preach it, sistah!! ;) I love my EF!!
I am glad you only had a short visit from Mr. M.
I tagged you in a little thing that's going around, if you have time!
http://talesofablendedfamily.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/tag-youre-it/
I like the last part. Murphy is indeed quite a fickle being. Glad that you were able to solve the problem with relative ease!
Murphy...ugh! Nice work thwarting his latest efforts; I like the creativity!
I have to say that the surface area of these lil guys is small so the amount of 'digging' for items has gone up. I don't enjoy it :-)
I'll have to suck it up and get used to it. It would have helped if I had been home when things were moved. I'd know what items were in which freezers.
Post a Comment