Pages

Sunday, December 23, 2012

One Year Ago...

(not really finance based, so feel free to skip if it's not your cup of tea)

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and a very sick little girl. I ended work before Christmas a couple days early as I was so dizzy and weak it was ridiculous. I spent most of the Christmas break at home, including a good part of family time. I learned that those symptoms were a part of the meds I was on.  (Ironically I would be put on that same med, under a different name, and get sick again in April)

While Christmas alone sucked it wasn't the end of the world, but being that weak and down the whole break was no fun at all. I didn't know if I was going to get better or worse.

A couple weeks ago I went for my yearly colonoscopy. It was in the city so I had to stay in a hotel near the hospital while I drank the 'drink of doom' to tidy up my colon. DH actually went down with me, to my complete shock.  He usually steers clear of anything hospital related. He went shopping while I stayed in the room. I took books down to read...silly me. I didn't have the time or the energy to do it.

The procedure itself was different than my first one here at home. I made sure I called ahead to ask that I would be receiving sedation. They assured me I would. Much to my dismay, when I got there, I learned that their idea of sedation was different than mine. For my first one it went like this "It should start working soon...................wake up it's over'. I could tell by the look on their faces that they don't do the same kind of sedation in the big hospital, though the papers I had to sign all looked the same.  It didn't help that it took three nurses and five attempts to get the IV in. I've never had IV troubles before.

They told me the sedation would relax me but I would be awake. I did not take it well and did a bit of crying. In the procedure room they put the sedation into me. I have visions of them giving each other the look and shooting it into me to quiet me down :-). It burned like hell!!  As I twisted myself to look at my hand, sure that flames were shooting out of it, the nurse said sweetly "sometimes it burns a bit when it goes it." My oh so eloquent replay "ya think??????????"

Eventually I did calm down but was wide awake for the whole thing. As in I could feel everything. The video cam was two feet in front of my eyes and ................................I couldn't help but watch. It was disturbingly interesting to see it.  Even the biospy claw that reminded me of those games in the front of a Dennys.....you know the one...with the claw that grabs the toys???

End results (ha! 'end')  My colon was a hot mess of infection last year. This year with the exception of turn #1, it was all beautiful and pink.  Quite amazing. The doctor said the Asacol meds couldn't have done that. I credit the herbal drink I am taking.

The 90 min drive home was awful. I was so nauseous it was ridiculous. It was a great feeling to be at home and curled up on my own couch. I had spent 8 hours of TV watching the day before as I lay in the hotel seeing all kinds of commercials and I knew what I wanted to eat for my first food - a Dairy Queen Candy Cane Blizzard. just a teeny one. my lord it was soooo good.

There is some cost to this. I thought my insurance covered this but apparently not. I am told to save my receipts and I can submit them at income tax time.
 - gas there and back - $75. I claim for mileage apparently.
-  hotel - $160. The ones farther from the hospital were not any cheaper. This was it was only a 5 min drive in the morning. This included parking fee of $8.  They charged me a $2.50 fee on my bill for putting it on my MC!! First time I have ever seen that fee.
- parking at hospital - $14.50
- meds to take for the procedure - $28.50
- mini blizzard - $2.99 ( I don't think I can claim that)
Total cost - $ 280.99

I posted about potential expeneses back HERE.

DH ate in front of me three times when I was on the first. Once on the way down. Once when he came back from shopping and brought A and W. And in the morning at the hospital . By that point I could have cheerfully killed him.  It was really good of him to go get me. I didn't have to go and stay back at the hotel for a second night - taking that sedation makes one legally impaired for 24 hours. I could just close my eyes the whole drive home and home desperately I fell asleep before I threw up.

So the news is much better than it could have been for my colitis. I still have to watch what I eat and steer clear (or just really be careful) of my triggers - nuts, broccoli, popcorn, raw onion and spicy food. I still have incredibly fast stimulus to response time for bathroom visits. But at least most of the colon is pretty  in pink. If it had looked like last year then I would have had to start a new med to clear things up so I didn't run an increased risk of colon cancer.

So happy day before the day before Christmas everyone! It's snowing and blowing here. We are off to DH's sister's house tonight for the family meal on that side.

11 comments:

T'Pol said...

I am so glad your test results are better. It sure doesn't sound like an easy test but, now that it is over, you can enjoy the Holidays!

Merry Christmas! Hope 2013 will be much healthier...

Jolie said...

Thank you so much T'Pol for your kind wishes, AND for visiting and commenting here. I hope you have a wonderful holiday. I tried to comment back on yours but for some reason I only get a popup page asking if I want to make your page my homepage. Please know I stopped by :-)

Anonymous said...

What is the herbal drink? My husband has crohns and wondering if something like that might help him?

Michelle

Jolie said...

Drop me an email michelle and I will send you a link.

Joliereves at yahoo dot com

Sharon said...

I'm glad the test results were good, but you should have been out for the procedure! I'm so sorry you had to go through that!!

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and you enjoy your break!!

The Witch said...

That had to be the worst Christmas!
I'm so glad you are pretty in the pink. Enjoy your time with your family and friends, you have had one tough ride.
We also have snow falling and blowing but not really cold yet.
Merry Christmas to you and your family and all the best in 2013.

Northern Living Allowance said...

So glad things are looking better! That's great news, although the procedure to get the results sounds "a bit" ugly. But it's over now and you can enjoy your holidays. Merry Christmas, Jolie (& family) and a happy, healthier 2013! xx

~Carla~ said...

Thanksful that you have good results!! At least now that you know what you're dealing with, you can avoid the offending foods... it's not always easy, but at least it's a small list! :)

Cash Only Living said...

That is great news!! Glad your test came out well. Hubby had the coloscopy done and his sedation was like your first one--"you will be out...then "time to wake up!" He didn't remember a thing which was exactly how he liked it. p.s. I would still try to claim the DQ treat as a psychological mood lifter or something :)

Anonymous said...

Man, I would still be fired up over the lack of total sedation! So happy for you that things look good. I have several relatives with similar issues and I know it's very difficult to live with. Glad you are starting off the new year in better shape than last year! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Sarah

Jolie said...

Thank you so much everyone. As I keep telling myself, colitis isn't the end of the world, but it sure does change my own little corner of it.