Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Conversations with children

News of yesterday's tragedy trickled into our world yesterday and as students were coming back from lunch, a few of them had heard the beginning details of Sandy Hook.

Even this far away from Connecticut, the horrors of this event and the fears, reached up and found my students.  The first conversation we had to have was that this was not to be discussed on the playground at recess or in the halls. The little ones out there might not have understood that the event was happening far away and we did not want to cause them any fear. My kids, for all that they have been a massive behaviour challenge, were amazingly good about this.

They needed to talk, so talk we did. Their questions were a lot around what would happen if something like that happened at our school. Where would they go? what would they do? We talked about places that might offer safety and shelter. We talked about knowing where they should go if they were not in our room.  They were good conversations to have, and we have had them in the past as well.

Like the rest of the world, they can't imagine what would bring a person to come to an Elementary school (or any) and do such things to kids....to people. They want to send a letter to the school and a something.... a stuffed animal, or something.....just so that they know we are sad for them and that we care.

14 comments:

Rose said...

I was just sick yesterday. We learned of the news at lunchtime, as when these things happen we are asked to be on high alert. Very emotional to spend the afternoon with my Ks, some parents in the room too. I won't discuss it with my students or mine own kids unless they ask. One little boy leaving on holidays as of yesterday. I gave him extra hugs and had to stop myself from crying...senseless and shocking too.

Anonymous said...

Jolie-
Thanks for talking to your students!
Heard on the radio this morning that people are asked to show support by wearing Sandy Hook's colors -- blue and yellow

Jean -MN

~Carla~ said...

It's hard for anyone to understand what leads a person to do this horrific act of violence.. nevermind innocent and naive children. I haven't had any coverage on here at all since my kids are with me 24/7, they have enough time to learn to about stuff like this. Unfortunately, children are going to hear about this though.:( They're lucky to have someone like you to talk to.

its me, sam said...

Here's the address Jolie... Bless you and I cry everytime I hear the news...

Sandy Hook Elementary School
12 Dickison Drive, Sandy Hook,
CT, 06482

Jolie said...

Rose - it must be even harder when you teach the little ones as they mirror the age of those who were taken on Friday. hugs as you get through the last days before the break.

Jolie said...

Jean - thanks so much for sharing what the colours are. I bet lots of schools will be honouring that in the days to coming.

Jolie said...

Carla - thanks so much. You're right - kids will hear, even if we don't directly tell them. From everything I have heard on TV, the key will be to let them talk and express how they feel and don't tell them more than they need to know. At least for my age group. Glad your kids were with you.

Jolie said...

Sam - thanks so much. I was googling to find and the actual school webpage is lost among the links of articles referencing what has happened.

Jolie said...

Carla - I am glad my kids are older now. I wouldn't know how to begin telling my children if they were little ones.

The Asian Pear said...

It's horrible. I can't imagine having to explain what happened to young children what happened in Newtown.

Jolie said...

exactly Pear. I am glad my students were older and brought it up themselves. I wouldn't have mentioned it otherwise.

Maura said...

Jolie, I read your blog and others, often. It's one of the things I look forward to on any "downtime" when I get any.

I just want to say that it is so heartwarming to see you and others mention my beautiful hometown of Newtown, Ct. The outpouring of love and prayers is overwhelming and so much appreciated. Groeing up in that beautiful little town, I would never in a million years have seen this coming. I imagine AUroira and Columbine said the same things. Kepp praying for us and thank youQ

Maura said...

As a long time reader of yours and other's blogs I am overwhelmed with the kind comments and prayers of all for those in my hometown of Newtown CT. Thanks you so much and please continue to pray for us.

Jolie said...

Maura - I am so sorry this has happened in your hometown. I can't begin to imagine what the families and the rest of the community are feeling.