Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Being budget consious this week

I would have to say that I did a good job of smacking myself on the back of the head last week and getting myself back on track, at least with the jars.

I took out my money on Wednesday night for grocery/household, gas, spending and entertainment. My tank was empty so the gas money was pretty much all used. The spending money $20 was my limit if I wanted coffee or something from our cafeteria. The entertainment money $20 was put into a jar I have set aside for Christmas groceries. I learned last year I needed that extra bit.

The groceries ...... I got the items DS2 wanted for his 2 meals at home, checking my pantry first. It felt good to feed him well. He took all the leftovers back with him, quite happily.

DH looked wistfully at the boxes of things I was sending back with DS (along with food stuffs from grandma). He told DS, "we only get groceries when you are home". Totally not true.

I picked up a few things on Sunday for lunches for the week and to make soup Sunday night.

I talked with DH about menus for the week and we went through the freezer in the fridge to see what was there. I pulled everything out, tossed what was freezer burnt and said "Ok here is what we have...what do we want to make?" 

I packed lunch each day this week. I brought coffee from home. I really should map out what lunch groceries cost and work out how  much a meal it costs.

There wasn't a ton left of the $180 weekly grocery/household money after that. Every time I wanted to grab Tims in the morning or run to our cafeteria (which has delicious food) this week, I kept saying "You only have X$$ left. Are you sure you want to spend that?" It helped.

There was a lot of self talk this week.

Today is the last day. I am left with enough $ to go pick up the cheap conditioner I need and some 'feminine stuff' and then I'm pretty much out.

Here's to another week of being strict with myself.

2 comments:

SAM said...

Good for you. Exercising self discipline and not making the easy buy is tough and to do so and feel "undeprived" even tougher. My sacrifice was not buying an over priced diet coke waiting for my daughter but oh how I wanted it. "Wait for a sale and buy a whole case." I told myself. Self bargaining.

Jane said...

I find I am getting better at putting things back on the shelf after I pick them up instead of putting them in the cart. My self-control is improving. Yesterday I wanted to go to Michael's and get more Christmas decorations after going through them and donating a lot of them over the past few years. I managed to not give into the urge. I have enough! I really really want to stay within my budget this month. It is a challenge with Christmas on its way but I'm really going to try! YOU are doing awesome!