Pages

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Wrapping Up Christmas

Another holiday season is over and in the memory chest here. It went far, far too fast.

DS1 and DD got home from her place on the evening of the 23rd. We spent a quiet evening together watching The Scorch Trials.

On Christmas Eve morning, we went to my nephew's new house and had brunch. He did up sausage and bacon, and served up eggs  on toasted English muffins with bĂ©arnaise or hollandaise sauce. He did a great job.

We came back here for the afternoon and then headed off to my sister's for Christmas Eve Supper. Her kids were all going to the other side for Christmas Day. We played games, they opened their presents and I got to see my three cute great nieces. DD is incredibly good with kids, so that bodes well for the future. Far future :-)

DH and DS2 made it back from BC and joined us there for a few hours.  DH headed home by 10 and the kids and I got home about 1 AM

It would be the only night everyone was in the house together. 

Christmas morning, we opened up the stocking things I had for the kids, and the cats.  Below is a picture of one of our cats. She made DS2 work to get her in his lap. She loves him dearly but was miffed he was away so she would circle  hm and look at him and when he called her, she would lift her nose up and away to show she was displeased. Finally she jumped up and curled up contentedly in his lap with her new feather toy.



We did Christmas brunch at my parents' and then came home. DS1 and DD left to go to her home, DS2 went to play video games and DH went to see his sister. I had a couple hours of alone time to veg out and clean.

Supper was a quiet affair back at my sister's house with just mom and dad, sister and her husband, and us. DS2 was maxed out on people and exhausted from him trip so he stayed home and napped. Half way through supper I remembered that one of my friends was alone for Christmas Day. Her kids were at their dad's. I texted to see if she wanted to join us but she said she wasn't 'company ready'. I took a plate (ok several) over to her and had a good visit. We work in the same building but are lucky if our paths cross once a week. Big, busy place. I was glad I had taken food to her. She was sad and it helped.

A quick run back to sister's to finish cleaning up and then we came home.  DS2 and I hung out for awhile and it was a quiet night of watching CSI reruns.  I didn't buy myself a book or go to the library before the holidays, darn it.

Today was the first time I have ever gone out for Boxing Day Sales. DH went once, a few years ago, when he got new pots for the kitchen. I have low tolerance for crowds of people. I had money set aside though in case some dishes came on sale. We have been using the same ones for 24.5 years now. They weren't fancy when we got them at our wedding, but over the years they have scratched up and we have lost a few here and there. DH and I found a set for $80 that had 34 pieces. Very plain. Not cheap but not expensive ones either. I just can't afford that.  We got to the register just in time. One person ahead of us. Literally 120 seconds later, there were no fewer than 20 people waiting  in line. DH counted for me because I was curious.

So this morning we boxed up the old stuff and washed and put away the new ones, adding a bit of contact paper to the bottoms of the cupboard as it is worn too.

This afternoon I headed over to the school to print off some tax documents DS1 needs to take back with him, and our printer is temperamental.

A roast is in the oven and DS2's clothes are in the laundry, and it is just another winter night for me, but at least I have one child home, for one more night.

1 comment:

SAM said...

So kind to remember the friend-I'm sure it meant a lot. While a lit if activity, it soubds like you had a lovely holiday. We toi have a temperamental printer but daughter got it to work so we could send son back to LA new contract in hand for a new freelance gig starting Monday.