Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Reflections on 2015

If I had to quickly summarize 2015, I would say that it wasn't my favourite year. I can dissect it and find positives along the way, which I definitely need to do, but overall, there were far too many Murphy visits that threw off my budget, my plan and my mojo.

Let's start with the financial ones:
The original post is HERE from last year.

1) TFSA - $2000 - done. It was done early in the early before things started to happen.

2) RRSP - $1500 - done. This was done by summer I believe.

3) Summer 2015 - $1000. This was done early too. It was nice to have that money for our camping trip.

4) Back to school - $500. This was a reduced amount compared to previous years. The boys both started college and BTS was much different with just me. I used it to pay my professional fees and a few things for my new classroom. And some clothes I think.

5) Vehicle Plates - $1200. done

6) Xmas 2015 - $1500 - done and all used up. The two plane tickets to BC ate up a big part of it.

7) Graduation costs - $500. done. Used for prom tickets (he ended up going) as well as cap and gown pics and a supper.



I know...you're thinking...she met all her financial goals...what is she complaining about??

Well let's talk Murphy.

Murphy1 - DS2's car. Repair after repair after repair. To the tune of close to $7000, about 2/3 covered under the warrantee I didn't want to buy, regretted buying, then was glad I had bought. The kicker was that it kept having to go in....that they didn't fix everything at once, said it was all good, and then a week or two later we were back in again.

Murphy 2 - DS2's car. So it is finally running well again and a massive hailstorm beats the car to death. Almost NOTHING from those repairs was factored into the insurance.

Murphy 3 - DS1's new to him car in mid July went hunting in September and took out a massive buck. or vice versa.  We had to deal with insurance out of the country, a mess of red tape and paperwork and then the hunt for a new vehicle which wasn't even close to the price of the previous one.

Murphy 4 - DS2's non trip to the US. couldn't go due to exams. No money back. $700 ticket wasted.

Murphy 5 - DH's trip to the US - half the ticket wasted as he drove DS1's new vehicle down to him.

Murphy 6 - the Canadian vs US dollar. It's at 71.something cents right now. And I have tuition due in January and another semester of living expenses. This exchange is financially paralyzing.

Murphy 7 - My health. Stupid colitis. I was so sick in March and April. Off work. Lived in the bathroom. Steroids didn't help. Slowly got better ish. Started a new infusion med and was so excited and optimistic. Was not meant to be. Got sick again starting around Canadian Thanksgiving and it has just gone downhill since then. I am not sure what the plan might be but I can't keep on like this. I am close to needing to be off work again.

A move to a new school. Some good. Some not so good. Nothing changeable, so we adapt as best we can and move on.

Empty Nest - not really a Murphy, but still a factor

It was all overwhelming and contributed to my health problems I am sure.

Absolutely there were positives.  A new baby in the family, born safe and healthy. My son graduating from High School on the Honour Roll with a diploma in French Immersion. A few more scholarships for DS2 to help us as he headed off to school.  A trip to see DS1 in the  US.  Mom and dad still are mostly healthy.

I can't control a whole lot of Murphy so I need to learn how to control how I react to Murphy.

I can't bring my children home again full time. I have to find a way to have a life without them here (yup and that made me cry)

I definitely need to work on finding jolie in 2016.

And that, is my year, wrapped up in a new little bow.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yeah, with my older boys leaving, my mind is starting. I still have two at home for a while, but I know it is coming. My husband wants us to move immediately upon the last one heads off college. Complete change. Maybe. We will see.

I do think it is time for you to think about yourself a little. You are such a good mom and have given everything to your boys. It is time to heal and find you again! Her's hoping for the best in 2016! It's your year!

Hawaii Planner said...

Congratulations on achieving your goals!! That is awesome. And, I hear you on unexpected expenses. I try to build a budget that doesn't account for them (to keep us focused) but also build a slush for things that do come up. If that makes any sense at all. ;-) Hoping you find a health solution fast!

SAM said...

I understand your thoughts, and are allowed to have them, own them, embrace that your life as mom is still there, but has been completely changed from what it had been for 20+ years. Those that can just go withthe flow are rare, and good for them, but I wasn't that adaptable either. Yes-find Jolie in 2016, because from what I read, she is terrific! Best wishes for better health.

Saskatchewan Savings said...

Jolie you have done an AMAZING job this year even with all the hiccups. You are putting your two sons thru post-secondary school, by yourself mind you... I am so happy that you are going to be focusing more on yourself for 2016, you are such an inspiration to read! You need to give yourself more credit and a bigger pat on your back for all you have and will accomplished. You are seriously kicking ass <3

The Asian Pear said...

Well done on meeting your goals! Despite the expenses, you met them all. Don't de-emphasize what an amazing woman you are.

PS - Murphy's a jerk.