Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

It pays to read the fine print

I was away this weekend in the deep south of the province with one of my sons. It necessitated far too much gas being spent on the to and from, and  sitting wayyyy too long inside a vehicle on such a lovely day.

I did an overnight in a hotel in the city and the check out was quite interesting. The young lady who checked me out was just the girl manning the post. She did not take my reservation, nor did she check me in so I will lay none of the blame on her. I was very polite and calm with her, but did grow firm as our conversation progressed.

First the lady printed off a form and asked me to be sure my name was spelled correctly. It was not. She said "oh you should have told them when you called to reserve." I informed her that I spelled it twice for the lady when I called to reserve. I always avoid the 1 800 number and call instead the number that goes to the actual place I am staying. I prefer knowing I am talking to someone who works in the building I am going to be in. The lady said I should have corrected my spelling when I checked in. I told her I had indeed corrected it by writing it myself on the form. She found that form.  I wrote it once again on the new final bill.

I found it interesting that she didn't ask me to verify the amount. I was checking it to be sure that the discount I was quoted was on there. I get a small discount with my gov't ID, or with CAA (AAA). That amount was there. As were the annoying 'tourist levys' I grumble about.

What caught my eye was the total, which seemed to be too much so I glanced again and saw that there was a "pet fee" on my bill.

 What is a pet fee???? I ask the lady.

Oh, that is the charge because you travelled with a pet. I blink. I have never travelled with a pet in my life.

No I didn't bring a pet, I say.

Yes, you did. It's right here on the bill.

Yes I can see that but I didn't travel with a pet, nor have I ever in my life. You can go check my room and check my vehicle while I wait here if you like, but I can assure you there is no pet.

She declined the offer. I asked her to remove that charge from the bill. It was $18!!!

She typed away at the computer then printed off a new statement (with my name not yet fixed) and gave me the new one. The amount was exactly the same.  The fee was still there.

I take a calming breath and say "the statement is still the same final total and the pet fee is on there. Perhaps what you clicked on did not work?'

Hmmm she says and types away for another five minutes. I give an apologetic look to the folks behind me waiting to check out.

I ask how the charge ended up on my bill. She said that there was a note  in the file that I wished to accomodate my pet and that I must have told the lady that over the phone.  I start to say something but she quickly replies "There must be an error in communication". Yes. there must.

She finally says that she cannot get that charge off the bill as it has already been processed (on computer, not on my CC). She says she isn't sure what to click on to  make it go away permanently. That would need the  manager's assistance, who is not yet in at 10 AM. Would I be fine with simply deducting the error from my bill and paying that?

I agree to that providing that the manager email me an invoice with the charge removed so I would have that for my record. She gives me the new total and I ask to see the statement again. We have a gentle but short math lesson as I am still being charged tax on the pet fee I am no longer paying. It isn't much ($1.80) but still. I explain and write the math out for her, still being pretty darn polite and positive to be honest.

She doesn't get it. She doesn't understand how to correctly tabulate the tax by hand. She is near tears at this point. I give up and let the $1.80 go.

When I finally made it home sweet home there was an email with the invoice. No note. Just the invoice.

My name was still, spelled wrong :-)

6 comments:

Niki said...

Oh my, I would have probably hit the roof. Sometimes I have no patience for things like that. I commend you for your patience.


I hope it all gets taken care of, properly.

Sarah said...

What hotel was is? you can post on the hotel site and complain and I think you should because I would too!!

Jane said...

Holy cow Jolie - you have a whole heck of a lot more patience than I would have had. I'm sure in a few more days you'll see the humour in the situation (like I did while reading:)

~Carla~ said...

Oh my... you must have the patience of a saint!! lol! Hope it all gets worked out for you!

The Witch said...

You must be a very patient person.
I think it is also bad training at this hotel that the girl didn't know how to fix the bill, let alone add.
I have no patient for stupidity or time wasted with clerks anymore because ultimately it's my time that is being wasted.
Shopping lately has become a horrible experience and I hate it when the clerks says "there you go" Is that suppose to mean thank-you?

Canadian Saver said...

I would make sure to follow up with the manager and write a review on Trip Advisor. Other travelers should be aware, they might be sneaking in the $18 pet fee to a lot of unsuspecting travelers!