skip to main |
skip to sidebar
donator or purchaser
I don't get out a lot. I mean literally. Aside from hockey/scouts/band or school I really don't go out in the evenings. There are no fancy dinners. There is no night at a club. No trips here and there.
Last night there was a big fundraising event in town. I've heard a lot about it but honestly had no real clue how 'big' it was. My sister's business always buys a table of seats and this year she asked me to go.
The 'seat' was $40, which she picked up the tab for. The wine was $25 a bottle for the same bottle I'd buy at the LBS (Liquor Board Store) for $10. There were more expensive wines there but my palate and budget are limited. Sister also bought the wine.
There were a variety of ways a regular girl like me could donate to the organization. There were silent auctions of some very generous items. There was a live auction of some trips, some furniture and some sports packages. There were tickets you could purchase for different draws like golf packs, IPADs, the costly Arbonnne skin care products I love etc.
Each of those draws were separate unless you bought what was called the passport. It gave you entry into everything except for the silent auction or the live auction. The individual draws were quite costly but if you bought the passport, it gave you a lot of chances to win. It cost $50.
I mean the whole point of the evening is to socialize and enter draws. If one didn't want to give, there was little point in going. I had some money building up in my charity pot so a passport I bought.
It took forever for that portion of the evening to start but it was fun. Didn't win a darn thing though LOL
But I was drawn to the silent auction and the live auction items. Some were donated to the cause by business, but not all of them. Many were donated by individuals or families who truly believe in this organization and wanted to add something to help.
They went for fairly large amounts. Not Sotheby auction prices mind you :-) but more than I could certainly pay.
Which brings me to my question.....
Assuming you were not on a budget and so wonderfully money minded....and you had...say..... a $1000................
would you get more intrinsic joy out of DONATING a prize worth $1000 to be auctioned off..........................or would you get more joy out of bidding on, and purchasing $1000 for an item?????
5 comments:
I have to admit that I'd probably be the purchaser, not the donator!! :)
I'd probably like being the donator at this point. I would feel guilty if I purchased the $1,000. Good question!
If I could, I would donate - but I'm just not in a position to do so right now.
LOL Jessie. Neither would I, but it was merely hypothetical.
I guess I should add my own as well.
I've been on both ends of that scenario (ok not for $1000 lol) and I would have to say that the feeling of donation as a far different and more enduring sense of well being than the purchaser.
Post a Comment