Pages

Monday, November 22, 2010

Started the shopping

So this past week I took some time to start writing out what I'd like to give for gifts this year. I write out the possibilities for the boys, then do the math to see how much things cost and then begin the fine tuning process.

This year I also included the stocking and S gifts. I don't always include the stocking stuff when I am figuring things out and boy things really can add up. It was a good lesson for my husband, who just buys willynilly til he's out of money, and doesn't really think about WHAT he is buying. I don't know if he learned anything, but I did try.

We had parent teacher interviews last week and I had a bit of downtime on the second night between visitors. I started buying things at Amazon.ca last year and I have to say I love it. I am speaking primarily of electronic items. Our only option here in town for such things is Walmart. It's always such a zoo when I go there and there is no guarantee they will have the game/games I am looking for. Then comes the joy of waiting my turn for the blue vested key holder to have time to come to me and pull said items out of the locked case. Then the line to pay. I don't mind Walmart for the regular items but there is something about that electronic department that sends me a quiver.

Enter Amazon.ca. I go there via my airmiles account and pay with my BMO airmile card so win win there. I can see immediately what they have, or do not have. I choose the ones so I get the 'super saver free shipping'. clickity click and it's all done.

I even have it delivered to my school so I don't have to worry about getting to the post office before it closes.

It's only a small % of the shopping I do, and I think our local walmart will do just fine without my small purchases like that, so I don't feel guilty.

As soon as the amount shows on my CC, I will pay it off via online banking from the Christmas account.

I did not have to spend gas to get there. I did not have to brave the cold. I did not have to fight to find a place to park, wrestle through the aisles and wait at the register.

Well, for those purchases, that is. for the rest....see above chaos and plant me in it front and center.

What % of the shopping you do, is online?

6 comments:

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

Do you do swagbucks? I am redeeming $35 of Amazon cards that I got from there. I got a total of about $110 in the last year just from that. And they have Amazon.ca too. If you're not already, you should check it out. Feel free to use my referral link: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/JessFletch

Jolie said...

The Scholar's Choice sounds fun MM. I love books.

LBC, no I don't use swagbucks. not even sure if it applies in Canada honestly.

Jessie said...

I do maybe one or two gifts out of over 20 online... maybe I shoudl start doing more!

Jessie said...

oh - also I tired the swagbucks thing, not a big fan.

Sharon said...

I would LOVE to do 100% shopping online! But, alas, I can't do all of my shopping and will have to go out to stores. There are just so many temptations when you are out shopping...

Anonymous said...

Books and DVDs I buy almost exclusively online.

Clothes and food are about the only things I buy in person.

And yes, you can get/use SwagBucks in Canada. I use them for Amazon.ca gift cards. It can take a while to get enough (450 bucks for a $5 card) but it does work here.