Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Love, Love, Loving the Library



Well I have to say that a big source of my pleasure this summer has been rediscovering my local library.  The school year gets pretty busy and for the most part, if I take out books during the year, I inevitably find myself not getting them back on time and accruing that lovely debt called Late Fees.

But with summer I have had the time to go and wander and explore. I have had the time to read and enjoy the wealth of having a library full of things I have not yet read.

I will admit I am a book addict. I have purchased far far too many books over the years, many of which I garage saled at a pittance. If I had the money in my savings that I had spent on books, I'd have a very healthy account.

I have really cut back the past two years. I buy rarely, and it's out of my savings. I will buy if they are a favourite author, or if I know it's likely to be one I will want to read and reread. I still have to give myself a talking to if we go to the book store in the city, or even wander by the book section in Walmart. The self talk works almost 99% of the time. It goes something like  "really?? really? you want to spend $10 -$12 of your savings on a book that you will read in a day and probably never read again????"

Now that my boys are old enough, I can take them there and they can wander alone without being high maintenance. Or better yet, I leave them alone at home and can take alllll the time I want to wander about and read.

I have found that if I choose a new book from the 'just released - 1 week borrowing only' as one of my choices, I am more likely to get them back there on time. 2-3 weeks...I lose track of time.

I also love exploring the magazines there. It gives me a chance to look at ones I would never buy, or read the ones I want to buy but won't spend the $ for. I mean really, an US or Star magazine is almost $6 with tax now!!! That's crazy.

I have rented a few movies from there but mostly when the boys are away and it's a chick flick or a historical movie that I know they won't enjoy. I loved The Other Boleyn Sister, but the chances of them sitting through it, is slim to none LOL. It makes the rare alone night nice....a glass of wine..a movie...maybe I'll cross stitch a bit....solitary luxury.

They also have movie showings at the library in the theater, but I'll be honest... there are a lot of kids there (ones I know) and it's really hard for the teacher in me to stand them yaking all the way through the show, while their parents let them...or worse...their parents are texting and the lights flashing ruin it.

Well reading that affirms it for me. I am getting old :P

One of the best parts of going there is that it is Air Conditioned. For a girl whose non AC'd house hit 85F last night..... AC is a wonderful incentive to read.

Do you make use of your public library?? After all, it's free (unless you pull a Jolie and forget to return them on time :-)

7 comments:

its me, sam said...

I love the public library. I try to go every 2 weeks or so. I do love to buy new books, and like you, not so much now, unless its a favorite author. I tend to pass the books around after they've been read, or donate them to the library and get a tax receipt.

Anonymous said...

Your comment about kids talking through the movie and that you must be getting old made me laugh. I think the same thing too when the neighborhood kids walk through our yard to get to the neighboorhood pool and I want to shout at them to get off my lawn:)

Canadian Saver said...

I rediscovered the library last year when I tallied up my 2008 book purchases and they were over $1,000. Plus I had 7 magazine subscriptions, so another $200-$300 there. I go about 4 days/week but that's because they are close to work and I use their wi-fi, which I can't get at work.

I use the inter-library loan feature a lot through their website, so I probably have new stuff in once or twice a week anyway.

Sam's comment reminds me that I need to gather up the books I want to donate and get a receipt too!

Yours sounds much bigger with lots more selection than ours. Movies, I don't think I'd get anything newer than 2005!!

Maureen said...

I,m a big fan of our local Library where we are not charged late fees, not that I would acrue them anyway as I go there so often. but I also buy from ebay, garage sales and am often given them from friends. I really need to cull my bookcase.

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

I am having a love affiar with the Long Beach library this summer! I can request books ahead of time, they email me when they're ready, and email me to remind me when to return them. I'm heading there tomorrow to get The Story of Stuff.

Unknown said...

I've been loving the library this year too. I've read more books this last year than I have for a long while.

I also pick up books at thrift stores and yard sales. My parents winter in the south each year, so I send her with my booklist. They cruise the thrift stores there which all seem to retail used books for $1. My book shelf is full still with "to read yet" books. Once I'm finished with a book, I either donate it to the thrift store, or I take it to my local BMV and try and sell it for a few extra bucks. I've gained quite a few dollars by doing this.

Love it in Toronto that I can reserve a book online and it tells me where in line I am.

Enjoy!

Money Beagle said...

I love our library and have written a couple of posts about how I make use of the computerized hold system and such. It's a great resource. I have sort of abandoned the idea of renting DVDs, though maybe it would make more sense. The rental window is small and I could just see running into a situation where I'd be paying late fees (something I've avoided to date at our current library!).