Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Taxes are in

We went last night to get them done as it was the first night we had free time together. The cost for mine alone was $81. I vow next year I will face my fears,  bite the bullet and buy a kit to do my taxes!!!

I was disappointed in my return, by about $300 to $400 dollars. I honestly was expecting something in the $1000 to $1100 range. Not because I have a sniff about deductions and refunds! Everything seemed pretty much the way it was last year plus I had the RRSPs  and more charitable donations this year. And since last year I got just under $1000......well...my 'cross my fingers' math skills had a different number in mind.

I had more in income this past year so that went against me. There was also some income tax breaks they had last year that boosted my return.

My refund came to $762. Which isn't awful at all, but it's not the number I had economic fantasies about. With MY number, I would have my loan paid off  in two weeks, between the refund and my next loan payment. With MY number, my Dr evil fun, but diabolical plans to move forward, were happening very soon.

Alas, I am not all poweful and my number did not come through. So I will  have to sit down and figure out how soon I can make this personal loan go away so I can move on to the next phase of my financial life. It will still be before the end of the school year as it was only a few hundred dollars difference. Just not on the happy fantasy time line I had hoped for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too bad you didn't get what you were hoping :(

Last year for the first time we did our taxes using QuickTax and I was amazed by how easy it was! We spent about $30 and were able to do mine, the bf's and my parents. We used to go to an accountant who would charge us $80 each! Crazy.

The Witch said...

Studio tax is free.

Jolie said...

Thank you both! I will have to investigate more.