This is a wee shout out to those of you with medical insurance that covers things like dental, vision and medical.
How quickly does your insurer get your cheque back to you when you file?
DS2 ended up needing glasses a few weeks ago. I paid in full on my MCard. Dutifully I came home and filled in the forms. My husband has some coverage through his work and I have decent through mine. According to the rules when filing for children, it must be filed first through the policy of whichever parent's bday fall first in the calendar year. That is husband's. His will cover only a fraction of it. I will then send the forms from husband's insurer on to MY company for the remainder of what is covered.
We sent the forms in first thing a couple Fridays ago. That same day, I sent in forms to My insurer for the contact lens I got for myself the same day as I bought DS2's glasses. My refund for my contacts came in the following Tuesday. That's a whole 3 business days of mail going, being processed and cheque returning. I think that's pretty fantastic.
We are still waiting on the cheque from my husband's insurer. It seems like forever. Meanwhile the MC statement came and went. I covered it out of emergency savings. It' is a real pain in the hiney though knowing I have to file, wait, and file again to get all the parts.
Still, I am glad I have insurance...and emergency savings!!
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
5 comments:
Annoying!
My doctors bill the insurance company directly, and I get a bill for whatever they don't pay from the labs or what have you. It actually takes MONTHS for them to send me a bill after I get the notice of what I'll owe.
Hmm. I don't have much experience with this, only having recently got insurance (yay!). It seemed to be pretty quick, though; I'd say several weeks, but I don't know if that's standard. I imagine it can depend on who the insurer is.
Our doctors also bill the insurance directly and we receive a bill for the remaining portion later. It's usually submitted rather quickly for us. On occassion we've had some stragglers that come in months after the service but usually within the month.
For me, if it's dental, it's within one week.
If it's anything else, usually within 2 weeks from the day I mail it.
My dental usually comes in within 3 days...my dentist submits the claims directly. I still pay them up front, but I don't have to fill out any paperwork. I don't remember how long glasses and other extended care takes...usually about a week.
Post a Comment