Ok the reason I had payday in " " is that technically as a teacher, I do not get paid in the summer or for the summer (though tons of folks out there sure think my summers are paid time off LOL)
I get paid for the 10 months of the school year. Now being horrible with money, I took advantage of our division (district)'s kind program that allows me to divide my salary by 12 and not 10, so I can actually have money coming in, in the summer.
A bonus of this is that for the July and August cheques, I do not have to pay union dues, pension contributions and insurance, as those only come off during the actual paycheques. So each July and August it's a bit of a surprise how much that cheque will actually be. This month I net an extra $650. August should be about the same.
I am so grateful for this extra $1300. I have to tuck it aside and use it for the start up fees for fall. Here is what I estimated last year for these activities.
It will be interesting to see what this year brings. As soon as I get paid, that extra money is going into a dif account until it is time to use it. I am estimating about $1600 this year but it depends on fees for their sports/band/school.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
2 days ago
7 comments:
I always wondered how teachers were paid, now I know ;)
I HATE when people make the comment, "you're so lucky you get paid for your summer holidays." My old division & the new division I'll be teaching at spread the salary over 12 months - thank goodness! My husband's old division paid over 10 months & our summers were always tight because we never saved throughout the year. You'd think after 6 years we would have learned our lesson :) My July & August pay cheques were always the same as January to June. I got the "bonus" money in the fall when I'd max out on EI & CPP.
@DP *smiles* exactly, but I guess if people don't know, then they don't know. There's so much I don't know about other professions. I look forward to maxing out on those two so I can put that towards my RRSP goal and some lump sum payments towards my first loan.
@FD It's only that way for some places, so I can't speak for all school divisions/districts.
My Aunt is a teacher in BC and I think it's the same way :D You don't get paid for the summer.
i thought they'd just split the payments over the year. I guess that's why some teachers choose to teach summer school though.
oh wow --- start up fees are pretty high... I have no idea what to have set aside for dd --- she is just going into kindergarten... obviously it won't be too much - but I am thinking to have like $200 ready to go for September... do you think that is enough?
It honestly depends on the school/teacher. We get a suppply list for the boys (1 at elementary and one at high school). The fees we find out in the fall. My kids are in sports/groups/music so that will cost big time in the outside of school category but those are choices I have made.
You're in the US jp so your school supplies you buy at Target or wherever are a heck of lot cheaper than Canadian prices. I envy you.
If you think this is costly, wait til my eyes are fully open and I am awake this morning and post the little 'hockey' expenses blog entry from yesterday's shopping trip in the city LOL
Post a Comment