Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

something forgotten in the budget

I've been going over $ the past few year, playing 'what if' for when debts or goals will be met. It's always fun :-)

I popped into the school the other day just to move something things around and get a couple small things off my to do list for fall.

It didn't take long to get into teacher mode and start planning things like my welcome back bulletin board, and what things I need to get the year started. I curled up at my desk, music filling the room, and wrote out my list for my august shopping. It was a great list. A work of art.

Then like a lightning bolt it hit me. Girl this is the first August you've been on Gail's Magic Jars and a B U D G E T. Ackk!!!! There is no budget line for such things as setting up your classroom. You never made one.

With a lovely cup of coffee I started playing around with the $ to see where I could squeeze out some cash to make my classroom shopping list happen. It just wasn't realistic. I have so much debt I am working SO hard to pay off so my little $300ish list just isn't going to happen.

It was a hard lesson for me. I probably spend $1000 a year of my own money in the classroom or for the students. This isn't refundable and beyond the general 'work allowance' that everyone gets for Canadian Income Tax, it isn't deductable.

So I took a hard long look at my list. Then I looked at the mound of resources I have in my classroom that I've bought over the year. Tons!! seriously. I started to cross items off my shopping list. Some were easy to cross off, which must show how incredibly important they were to me LOL. Some were definitely harder to x out.

I said goodbye to the new ideas for bulletin board stuff and dug out the idea from about 7 years ago. Wham, up on the board. All done. Cost to me? $0

Do I really need new pens/markers/sharpies etc this year? No. I can use up what I have in my drawer and then we'll see.

Do I need a few new binders to store things? yes so I will have to watch for sales.

The list is still a work in progress. It will be less than $50. Where the money will come from, I will have to determine.

6 comments:

Jessie said...

My Aunt's a teacher and often spends tonnnnes of $$$$ on her classroom too!!

DogAteMyFinances said...

Wow, $1000?! Is it a low-income school? I've heard stories of teachers buying scissors and paper and stuff for poor students, but 1K sounds like a whole lot!

Good to be aware of it this year!

Jolie said...

@Dog: No It's not a low income school. Public school in Canada. But if I want posters or incentive items, resources that will be Mine to keep and do as I please with, binders, decorations etc, I buy it myself. Then too anything I get for the students, or bring for special meals, Christmas items or year end items...comes from me too.

Anonymous said...

Being a teacher myself I know exactly what you're going through. There's something about the beginning of the school. It's a fresh start to the year & so it feels good to have new stuff. I've switched teaching positions, so I'm at a different school this fall. I'm not going to worry about buying new stuff because it'll all look new to the students because they've never seen it before. I'm not sure if people realize how much "stuff" for our classrooms & students come out of our own pockets. It would be nice if there was some way to deduct these expenses at tax time.

Tammy said...

As a parent, I DO understand your predicament. I have heard how much teachers must spend out of pocket. I have always given my kids' teachers gift cards to office supply stores and book stores. It's not very personal, but, the teachers have appreciated the practicality of them.
Perhaps you could make a "Wish List" for parents to see when a gift giving occasion comes up? (Holidays, thank yous and such) I'm sure they would appreciate that rather than using their hard earned money to give you another coffee mug or picture frame. Just an idea. I know it is really more complicated than all this. Finally, I have one more idea!(I'm full of them aren't I? LOL Betcha you've thought of them already anyway.)Can you do a swap among your fellow teachers? Anyway, here's to a good year for you, your students are blessed to have you regardless of your bulletin boards!

Jolie said...

Those are great gifts Tammy!! and your comments are so sweet. thank you.