Pages

Monday, July 6, 2009

Garage Sale update

Well our impromptu garage sale did surprisingly well considering we threw it together the day before. We ran it Thurs and Fri as they seem to be more successful than full weekend ones. The rain dampened visitors (and some items) for a bit but not too badly.

Overall we sold just under $500. The boys earned about $100 for their items so that was divided between the two of them. We made about $400, minus a bit for pizza so we divided that up between the two of us. That leaves me some nice cash to put towards my next goal.

It was so good to get rid of the clutter. The garage has more room now and it felt very empowering to give things away. We didn't really have many huge ticket items, so that was a lot of little things to add up to $500ish.

It really helped having the boxes from the last garage sale, just up in the attic. They were all nicely packed, already priced and just needed to be brought down. Combined with the other thing we found around the house, the set up went very quick. The take down went even quicker as there was that much less to do.

The prepricing was a trick my mother had taught me. As you clean, sort and purge throughout the year, have a box ready to go for garage sale items. Have your price stickers, or masking tape and a marker, and price them as you put them in the box. It takes more time in the cleaning process but boy is it nice to just be able to pull out full boxes all ready to go.

My sister may have one in the fall, but aside from an airhockey table, currently stored under my son's bed, I don't have tons to put in. Unlessssss I find more as I clean through the summer.

9 comments:

Freckleface said...

Congratulations on the dollar amount -- and I am clearly envious as my garage sale total last month only brought me $14.00. Sigh.

Jolie said...

aww thanks. they certainly aren't all that successful. It might have been that there weren't that many around my community so the die hard gs'ers had fewer places to spend their money.

RTC said...

Pretty impressive earnings! What are you planning to do with the profits?

hustler said...

That's such a good idea to keep a box of already priced garage sale items. Why didn't I think of that!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's great it was a huge success!! :)

Jolie said...

RTC they will go to next goal which I am waffling on which one it shall be.

Ms. MoneyChat said...

I want so badly to have a garage sale but I get overwhelmed at the thought organizing it. Maybe I should just get up and do it like you did.

Congrats on the sale, that was awesome.

jpkittie said...

nice! that is a decent amount of money for sure!!!

Jolie said...

Thanks everyone. Yes sometimes it is just a get up and do it. I find if I know about it longer I worry way more and cause myself tons of extra stress.