Pages

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood

I spent a bit this morning curled up on my front step this morning, wind blowing, as I sipped my coffee. I have to admit, I am pretty lucky to live on the street I live in. I know most of my neighbours, or rather, they know me. They've known me since I was a little girl and my grandparents lived on this street. We aren't 'hey come to my house for supper' kind of close. More like chitchat from the lawn or when putting out the trash. It's an older neighbourhood, circa 1950s. While sometimes a few (yes, you the lady across the street) are a bit nosy, it's well meaning nosy. I know they watch out for our home, just as we watch out for theirs. If I needed anything, they'd be there in whatever way we could. They are good to my cats, who do roam but dont' dig...they just want petting.

There is something to be said for having a connection with your neighbourhood. I am watching the new parts going up on the edge of town and while I am envious of those big bright beautiful houses....the yards are small............the neighbours, unknown to each other for now... It will take awhile and the right chemistry to get the feel of a 'good street'.

That is kind of a wealth, all to it's own.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

I defn. want to wind up in a neighborhood where I know my neighbors! You are lucky!

The Asian Pear said...

i know what you mean. i like my neighbourhood too. it's not the spiffiest of neighbourhoods but it's nice street where everyone knows each other's faces and children play on the streets.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I know exactly what you mean. I am in a neighbourhood where we sit outside and know each other by sight but don't chat.. yet we watch out for each other