Here is what I have.
- Gas (Fuel) - I was able to save 54% of the money for gas this month. I had no out of town trips though, and that is rare, so for this category, I would say this month was not normal. Anything leftover goes in a lil envelope to be tucked away for insurance, licence plates and mechanical needs.
- Spending - I was able to save 29% of this. I use this money for my mad money, or pharmacy stuff, etc. This will get set aside in it's own envelope too as I didnt have to buy cosmetics this month, but it will come all in a whack in Feb LOL
- Household - I needed few things this month. We had lots of cleaners, TP, paper towel etc again, abnormal month. I was able to save 58% of this jar. This goes into it's own envelope for months where we need to stock up, or to buy something larger for the house.
- Dining Out - This is one of our worst categories. We are away often for hockey on 15 hour day trips or weekend trips and this just adds up and up. I was only able to save 20% of this. I have set this aside as February has me at a conference in the city for 2 days and my older son at a hockey camp for three and dining out will add up fast fast fast.
- Groceries - Ok we were spending a GIANT amount of money on groceries and this is the area I can make the most progress in. I was able to save 24% of it. I could have done far better if I had made better choices in the last week, but then again we ate very frugally the first two weeks so maybe it balances out.
All in all, I was able to save $500 in these jars. Perhaps that is mostly a reflection of my overspending in these categories but still...at the end of a 'normal' month I'd have less than $100 in my account AND I'd have added to the Credit card.
Of these five jars, only the grocery $ which is leftover is going towards debt. The rest are their own lil savings envelopes, which is something I've never had before.
I call this an interesting success and look forward to seeing what a far busier and costlier february will bring.
4 comments:
just not adding to a credit card is something to be proud of - but having $ left over too!!! Yahoo! Good for you!!! Keep it up for Month 2!!!
I would definitely say this was a success! Being able to start February with a cushion in your envelopes to cover unexpected expenses is wonderful! I think you have found a system that works for you!
So far so good. Thanks guys. Feb is one of my more costly months so we shall see how it goes.
great job! i'm always interested to see if people really do spend more with plastic or cash. i tend to spend more with plastic so cash works for me as well.
Post a Comment