Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Battle between diet and budget

Ok so I used up all of my groceries jar by Thursday and the new week doesn't start until Monday. Did I spent my week's money wisely? naww probably not. Too many 'just grab this etc'.

So we are out of milk and the boys need it so I decide ok I have money from my 'dining out' for the week and food is food. After all, milk is more important than Chinese food take out. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm chinese food take out. *drools*

So off I go to Walmart this AM after I drop DS2 off at band practice. I have $10 for groceries and $10 for household (Kleenex...lots as it is cold season and I need some cheapie emory boards). Two milk bring me in around $8 before tax and the tissue and boards bring me to $9.

Hey, great job right? I stayed within the cash I had.

Problem is I am there going 'ohhh I am out of fiber 1 ceral for me.' 'oh I haven't tried those 100 calorie packs', 'ohhhh those yogurt look good'.

I swear to god if someone were walking beside me they would have phoned for the men in white coats. I was talking to myself constantly. "nooo jolie you can't have that. You spent your grocery money unwisely'. "yess jolie I am sure those new 100 c packs are tasty as hell but you need milk!!' Over and over. I even laughed outloud as I battled 'me'.

When it all came down I walked out with just the above mentioned items and a wee bit of jingle in the pocket'.

It is HARD to buy healthy for cheap. Especially when we're way up here and produce costs the earth.

Anyone else battling the balance between healthy and cheap?

Anyone else been hauled away for aruging with yourself in the store? lol

I'm on a great clutter cleaning binge today. Wheeeeeeeeeee. It's so much fun. Two big garbage bags full of containers etc that I NEVER use that will go off to the food bank who will use them happily.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Jolie,
I end up doing two grocery shops..one for me on my diet, and one for the family. Actually I'm getting better at mixing the two..my family should be eating healthy too! But my budget is way off. I never, or rarely, stay within the food budget. I choose losing weight over saving money sometimes...