literally
Ok so here and there throughout my past I have gone to the salon to get my hair coloured. Just one colour. Not highlights or lowlights. Sometimes they get a colour I like. Sometimes if we try a new one, it isnt' the best. Just the regular life of colouring your hair. The cost in the salon....close to $100 including tip. I am honestly not sure if that includes a trim. I don't think so.
Over the past couple years I have tried doing it on my own. I know colouring hair is pretty easy with the home kits but I am quite esthetically challenged. Anyhoo, I decided last weekend that my colour needed some love and kits were on for $3.99 at Shoppers. It was like the colour gods were speaking to me. Into the basket the box went.
So last Sunday night I coloured my hair. Everything was going smoothly until I was rinsing the colour off in the kitchen sink. I must have moved my neck funny, as I felt it go out. Now back history... DS1 ruined my neck when I was expecting him, from excessively strong morning sickness. I first went to a chiropractor then as he put it out so badly. From time to time my neck wanders out of place and then works its way back in again by the next day
As I sat in the living room that Sunday night I knew it was out. Monday was not better. Range of motion was limited, but not really any pain. Tuesday got worse. Wednesday got worse. By Thursday I was in pain if I attempted to move it, and totally locked. So I bit the bullet and went to the chiro. He was limited in what he could do as I couldn't even lay back for him to do whatever neck snapping they do when you lay on your back. He confirmed it was completely locked. He was able to get a cm or two range of motion back in the left and right but up and down was a no can do. We made an apt again for Fri.
During Thursday evening and throughout the neck the pain grew worse even in the safe position. Friday I ended up staying home from work as I couldn't breathe without hurting. Chiro again Fri afternoon.
1st chiro visit - $60
2nd chiro visit - $45
I might get some of this back. Not sure. I didn't have a full time teaching contract the last time I went to chiro.
So I had a bit more flexibility but.........by Friday 8 PM I was in writhing pain. The muscles in my neck had banded together like steel. Off to ER I went (no walk in clinics here). A 3.5 hour wait to see a dr. It felt like time had stopped and I was there with a whole bunch of new germy friends. The DR gave me a shot and a valium and sent me home with a prescription for something else. I managed to fall asleep for less than an hour at which point I woke up again in even more pain than before. Sobbing to the depths of my soul pain. Back to the ER I went again for another shot or two of stuff.
Fast forward to Sunday. I spent Sat in a drug induced haze from the meds and slept most of it and I am grateful for that. Sunday DH goes to fill the prescription for me. Not covered under my plan or my DH's, so cost to us $52.
I am ...healing. slowly. Still in a lot of pain and looking different directions is a challenge. I hurt. Not sobbing to the depths of my soul hurt, but on the radar.
Cost for 'saving' myself the hair colour? hmmm
60 + 45 + 52 = 157 plus ER wait time.
Worth it?
I am guessing no, but the wound is still fresh LOL
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
5 comments:
Wow! I don't know neck pain, but I know back pain. I hope it gets back to normal soon. Sounds to me like you may have a slipped disc somewhere up there. Physical therapy could really help keep it at bay by teaching the exercises you need to keep the muscles strong.
Sorry the chirp didn't help much. Do you have a tens unit? It helps me tremendously.
My heart and soul and neck go out to you Jolie!! As a frequent chiropractor client I know the pain of which you speak. The kind you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy kind of pain. I hope it continues to improve!!
Heal quickly Jolie!
That sounds terrible Jolie. Hope it will go away soon. However, even if you had your hair colored at the salon, this could have happened. I hate it when someone else washes my hair and styles it.They keep pushing your head around and tugging your hair supposedly "gently".
Thank you everyone. I am semi human again.
Jane .... It was seriously supposed to hurt like that after visiting the chiro? yikes
I definitely makes me understand better what my sister went through pre MS days when she was in constant back pain from her cartilage wearing away and her sciatica wreaking havoc.
Post a Comment