I want to thank Bridget at
Money after Graduation, for giving me some food for thought as I looked ahead to 2015.
I chose a few to help guide me for the coming year, and give me focus on the things that really matter in life.
Please wander over to Bridget's blog to see her full list.
In 2015…
What are you going to do to give back to the community you live in?
People are often quick to criticize our community.
There is a lot of poverty, crime, and we see far too many buildings closing up.
People say there is nothing to do here.
When my students voice criticism, I often find myself saying “What have
you done to try to make things better? What events have they gone to be a part
of?”
Time to put a few of my own words into action. I
often have the intention, but lack the follow through on the action. Our ‘Be
the Change’ group at school has adopted three local groups to fundraise for. I
want to be more than a leader for this, but see first hand what these
organizations offer, and how regular people like us, can affect change.
How are you going to show love to
your siblings, parents, and family?
In the busyness of the school work week, I will
admit that I don’t make a lot of time for family outside of my own little
house. I text my mom daily, but that is about it. I need to make more of an
effort to touch base with my larger extended family, even if I can’t get to see
them. Life moves too quickly and things
happen which are beyond our control. I do not want to look back and wish I had
made more of an effort.
What can you do to show appreciation to your friends?
My friends are mostly the people I work with. There
is a chance I will be moved to a different building this fall, meaning I will
leave behind my friends. I will confess to you all that I worry that our
friendships are ‘situational friendships’ and once we are no longer in each
other’s spheres daily, that friendship will disappear. I want them to know how
much I do appreciate their presence in my life. More listening to them, and
being there for them, and less ‘all about me’, is my plan.
What aspect of your personality
can you work on to become stronger and more resilient?
I react…way too often and too easily. I need
to dial that back a whole lot. I need to take a moment, and breathe and think
more before I feel, or react. I don’t
like the person I become when I get intense like that.
Where are you going to travel? For what reason?
While I would love to travel and travel, the budget
will limit that. I plan for two trips down to see DS play hockey; one in
February and another in October. I will enjoy the October one more I am
guessing. This past October visit was lovely weather so we got to explore the
community. February will be tougher to do that. What can I say? I like fall
temps better than winter temps J It’s a beautiful city and I hope to hit up a
couple of the locations where Diners Drive ins and Dives filmed.
How will you celebrate your life?
There
were three instances since Christmas where it has reminded me that life is far
too unpredictable, and we need to LIVE it more. That’s why I chose those two
motivational post its for my NY day post.
The
first incident is a parent of three of my former students. He passed away
unexpectedly on NY Day. He was 49.
The
second is a colleague who suffered a stroke NY eve. She has yet to regain
consciousness. She is 51.
The
third is my sister’s father in law.. Opa as we all call hime. He wasn’t feeling well on the 30th.
His wife wanted him to go to hospital but he refused until later that day. He
told her, “Go plug in the truck (cold here) and let’s get it warmed up so I can
drive us to the hospital.” She doesn’t drive. They ended up getting a ride there
from a community service. He had had a heart attack earlier that day. They have
since learned that he has congestive heart problems and his kidneys have shut
down. He is rallying so far, but there is only so much they can do. He is 95.
I
want to be like Opa. Going strong and ready to drive myself to the hospital at
95. I want to LIVE. I am tired of letting my weight or my shyness or the
reclusiveness of DH keep me from living life. I am the only one who can change
this. Do I care enough about me to do so?
5 comments:
Jolie, I'm cheering you on from the east coast! You can do this... I've got your back!
I love these resolutions Jolie!! I'm really sorry to hear about situations that happened in regards to your last goal.
I hope you care enough about yourself to take control of your life. You deserve the best & I have no doubt that you can :)
You go girl! Great resolutions....in fact I want to adopt a few for myself :) Keep up the wonderful attitude, I'm rooting for you!
Hi Jolie - I'm really hoping you'll post your progress - I'm shy too and have to force myself to go outside of my comfort zone. I'm hoping to learn something from your example :) ...no pressure!
Thanks so much everyone. This blog is, without a doubt, the one thing that has kept me going..
Post a Comment