I wanted to thank everyone for their words of kindness and support. We are grateful to have a nice timeline to be able to figure things out thoughfully. It will be an interesting learning process. Already we learned that when you get the severance package (at the end) that you are not eligible for EI (Employment Insurance) as that is seen as a paycheque. It will be interesting to see how many leave in the next month or so and how many stay on.
At almost 50 for DH, it is a big life changing event. He has been there since the 80s and doesn't really have training for a lot else and that hits home hard for him. Most things he will find won't be a huge drop in salary as he makes not a whole lot more than minimum wage there, after so many years of service. Rather sad commentary on how the company values the 'grunt' employees who make the every day work happen.
I have been doing a lot of proactive "you could do this..... or you could do that...." to allieviate his stress and mood. I think it helped a great deal for him but we shall see after a bit of time has passed and the shock wears off.
This was a large employer for our community and hopefully something else will come along to bring some life back into the area. The premier is on TV (election time) about what a great boom our province is having and what a great future our communities have. Time to put some action behind those words so they feel true for the regular folk.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
2 days ago
11 comments:
(((Jolie))) We've been in your shoes before only I didn't have a paycheck coming in... Things will work out in the end! Stay strong!!
In this case, it's good that your hubby isn't expecting a large paycheck...employers really are taking advantage of the economy and not paying a lot.
We would have a hard time if my DH lost his job...he's been at his firm for quite a while, and is trained in a specific area. I'm not confident he would be able to find equitable work. We would probably have to sell the house and move if he couldn't find a similar job.
The good news is that you have time. It'll be an adventure for sure. Hopefully a brand new company will move in and your hubby will be gainfully employed once again. :)!
Just want to point out something... are you talking about unemployment insurance (I understand this is CAN vs US)? If so, even with a severance pay, he is still eligible for benefits. His benefits will just be deducted for the amount that he was paid out and delay the date when he will begin to receive benefits. He is being laid off, and that in itself qualifies him.
If he quits before he gets laid off, then he CAN be denied benefits, because the company can claim that he voluntarily quit while there was work available for him.
CAN Employment Insurance (look at page 27)
Regardless, best of luck.
@ Tanner - you beat me too it!
Jolie, please look into this what you were told is not correct.
Thanks everyone. Yup we are checking into it all so we know all the facts.
I work with the UN system (US equivalent to CAN's EI), and that shot to me as a very bright red flag. Here's the thing... employers may play with words as long as they can reduce their liability. In plain English, what they want to do is have people quit before they are laid off.
You are often denied UN/EI for a voluntary quit. You are 99% of the time awarded benefits for a lay-off situation. So by having people quit, they can dispute their claims and not have to pay benefits. Not sure what exactly they were said, but it does sound like a red flag for me. Hope that helps. Let me know if I can help you clarify anything!
Lol Tanner, that is the first thing I said. The more who quit the less company has to pay out. Any new hires over the next year won't get more than a week of sev pay so company saves.
Jolie, what's the union saying on this? If it's the company I'm thinking of, the union may have some good advice for everyone.
Wow sorry to hear about your situation Jolie! I want to 2nd what Tanner said. Again, I am from the US so it may be different but quiting usually gets a person nothing while being laid off, even with severance, usually qualifies the person for unemployment and other programs. Plus if your husband has been there for 20+ years and makes just a little more than minimum wage then I am pretty outraged on his behalf! Maybe this will be the wake up call to do something different and more lucrative (I know how it is to stay somewhere "safe" but low paying just because it is comfortable). Please check out www.daveramsey.com and listen online to his broadcasts--I think his information will help inspire you and the hubby to move forward and, not only with good money principles but he also has a lot to say about making changes in order to make more money. Hang in there...we are all here to support you!!!
Hang in there, and it sounds like you're staying really positive. I'm sure he appreciates it.
Oh Jolie :( Your DH is lucky to have you. I hope your Hubby quickly learns to appreciate what you have been working toward for the past 2 or 3 years and is thankful you are making it happen. {{{{{hugs}}}}} - I am confident you will be fine and he will find something quickly.
Post a Comment