This isn't a complain. Or a whine. More just a..................frantic and rather unsettling realization I hit each year about this time.
There is never enough time to get done all the things I have to do and many of the things I WANT to do.
I am curled up here at the school with a mountain of marking from h*ll along with prep work and it is absolutely overwhelming. With 29 students at very different levels, there isn't a moment to spare during the day so all the other work has to happen outside of traditional hours.
Compound that with the housework and laundry that needs to be done. DS2 is at home with homework (a ridiculous amount for a long weekend and an assignment I would never give as a teacher) and I HOPE he's working on it. DS1 is up skating with the junior team and excited as heck about it. DH is out with one of my nephews doing the winterizing for the boat and helping him winterize his seadoos.
And it's nice out. I'd like to be out for a walk or a bike ride or a fire at the farm to enjoy the moments of autumn that are quickly fleeing.
And there's a football game on!
I know I do not use my time to it's fullest (does anyone??) but this is something I HAVE to do a better job of. I need to stream line what I am doing at school to make it the most effective for the students and I. I also need to just get down to business and bite the elephant one chunk at a time.
(and for those who say "hey chickie yer complaining about time and yer blogging".....I typed this in the 2 min my water was boiling to make my tea :-)
Laterssssss
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
2 days ago
6 comments:
Jolie, sometimes it's very hard to find the balance. When you discover the key, let me know! I hope you enjoyed some of the weekend!
That is one thing I am grateful for, when I lock the door at work at 5 I don't take work with me. I really couldn't even if I wanted to... I feel bad for you, especially on this holiday weekend :-( Hope your plan to get more done at school works!
I am so with you...and my class size if 40, so I'm with ya on having to do everything after school. My blog post tomorrow is similar!
Good luck to you on finding the time to get it all done. Wants vs needs are a tricky thing. I'll say a prayer that you are able to be content even if it all doesn't get done. Blessings~Tammy
It is quite hard for teachers, as work, by definition, does follow you home. It would be nice if they instituted grading/scoring time into the school day, but nooo.
As far as getting your stuff together, prioritize, prioritize, and oh yeah. Prioritize. Set a schedule for tasks you know you have to do, instead of “I'll get to them at some point”. That will leave you less frazzled, and you know that laundry will get done on Tuesday, for example. That leaves Monday afternoon for general cleaning, a bike ride on Wednesday, etc etc. You HAVE to plan for downtime as much as you plan your savings as an expense instead of a “if I have the funds/time/willpower”.
Well you know I can empathize!! I won't go in on weekends though like you. I tend to stay til 6pm if I need to and keep weekends for unraveling my frazzled brain. I had back to back meetings today so this was one of those days I stayed late. I have to get my IEPs are done by Oct. 18th and progress reports by this Friday plus prepare for meetings, prepare my lessons, marking .... there's just no end and I've been feeling "overwhelmed" like you. It's a teacher's disease!
Well, at least we have Christmas to look forward to!!
Post a Comment