Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

And big company wins = little folk lose

We learned today DH's company is shutting down our facility. Bye bye employment since 1987. We have a little over a year. A very small severance package if he stays til the end. Time to cone up with a plan B.

17 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh no! I am so sorry! I hope he finds something else soon and the severance package works out.

My prayers to you!

Jen

Jolie said...

Thanks Jennifer. He only gets the pack if he stays til the end.

~Carla~ said...

Ugh!! :( I'm so sorry!! Praying things all work out for you!

Niki said...

I am so sorry to hear this Jolie. I am thinking of you and your family and praying he finds work as soon as possible.

Serendipity said...

Wow. This sucks and I'm sorry to hear it. I hope something comes through. I'm going to pray for you and Jp kittie who heard similar news as well. :(

Out My window said...

That is just terrible. I will pray that you find something else. this is just so hard. Crap, and you were doing so well. Keep up your spirits, we will be right here to help lift you up.

Anonymous said...

Urgh! Jolie I'm so sorry to hear this....I really hope that he can find something else!

its me, sam said...

Oh, Jolie that is sad news to hear! Will your husband go to the oil fields to work? Or is he going to look at retraining? I hope it all works out for you!

its me, sam said...

Oh, Jolie that is sad news to hear! Will your husband go to the oil fields to work? Or is he going to look at retraining? I hope it all works out for you!

Girl Makes Cents said...

Wow, that's terrible. Hope he can find something else. Thinking of you!

Tania said...

That's terrible news... but hopefully he can find something else really soon.

Mysti said...

I am so sorry. Give yourself a few days to let it all sink in, and then figure out the plan. Is he leaning towards staying to get the package?

The Witch said...

Jolie,
So So sorry to read this news.
If he stays and gets the small severance package can you place it into a RRSP without hurting his chance to collect unemployment insurance benefits?
The reason I ask this is because most companies before just packing up are suppose to put aside money for re-training. Your husband may want to go back to school and learn a new trade on the backside of his former employer and be paid to do this.
Check out all the options because you actually have some time before a big decision has to be made.
Big hugs to you and your husband.

Sharon said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Thankfully you have a year to figure things out. My brother had something similar..he stayed until the end, and started interviewing the last month. Thankfully he was able to secure a job..but it was close.

Hopefully your husband will find something even better. When a door closes a window opens...

Sending only happy thoughts your way! {{hugs}}!!

Louise said...

sorry to hear about the job loss, it sounds like it's going to affect a lot of people,

Jane said...

I guess their enormous profits just weren't enough! The little folk always lose in the end AND glad YOU earn a good salary Jolie!
I've read many an article over the past couple of years that have as their message that job loss is an "Opportunity to try something new" but that is small consolation if there is nothing "new" closeby to try. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family - I truly believe all will work out to your benefit in the end.

Jerry said...

I am so sorry for this. It is happening so much nowadays. I hope you guys are prepared somewhat. Will you have insurance coverage through COBRA? I hope you have some savings to get you through till his next job. This is so stressful. I hope that it all leads to something better.