Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

MS Walk here we come!!

It's a  sunny day out there thoughn only 4 C and it's time to get up and moving for the MS Walk for the Cure. This is the first year our family is participating as it was the beginning of June, last year, when we found out that my oldest sister was diagnosed with MS.

I've participated in Relay for Life before. We had a team for a coworker who passed away from a rapid bout of Lung Cancer. It was quite the experience, emotionally and physically.

This one, while a shorter walk, will be even more personal. My sister is going to try to walk some of it with us so I will probably walk with her and send the boys off with their cousins. This will be the first time the boys have participated in an event like this.

Have a happy day everyone. Find a cause near and dear to your heart, and find a way to support it, whether it be through a walk, through volunteerism or through donations. It puts life in a whole new perspective for you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How great that the boys are walking too. :-)

its me, sam said...

I hope you made out OK on the walk.

Girl Makes Cents said...

Sounds great!! Hope it went well for you!

The Asian Pear said...

how did the walk go? :)

Jolie said...

Thanks everyone! It was great. There were 15 of us for our 'team' which is about half of my immediate family. We raised somewhere between $3000 and $4000, most of that coming from two of my nieces' hard work.

My sister made it about half way, walking very very slowly. It was farther than she should have. Stubborn girl. I will have to call her later and see how she is feeling.

The organizers were very happy we were there. Numbers for our little community MS walk have dropped considerably over the years and they appreciated our bodies and enthusiasm, as well as the funds raised.

We went to mom's after for a barbeque. delicious!!

Jolie said...

I never really gave the boys an option. They had no plans. I just said 'we're doing it'. The 13 year old was a bit 'teenagery' and I said 'really? you have no time in your xbox schedule to give a couple of hours to Auntie??? you DO realize MS is hereditary right?"

DS2 has all kinds of neurological issues and it really hit home for him when I said that.

They are good kids. Just teenagers sometimes LOL