I didn't realize it yesterday until it was almost over. Then I got quiet ( for me, a rarity) and thought 'well there goes another milestone I didn't even think of). DS2 had his track and field day. The last one of elementary school. He moves on to High School next year where he may or may not join the track team, but this is the end, my friend of Track and Field.
Memories of mine are strong. ICE cold bottles (yes real glass bottles) of coke in a big bin of slusky icy water. Big bags of chips that have more than air inside them. Soft and chewy shoestring licorice. My favourite was the green which had a mild minty taste to it. All purchased for less than a dollar, and a whole pocket jingling with quarters. There was just something about those memories and the carefreeness of it all.
When DS1 had his first 'playday' in Kindergarten I was there like a dirty shoe. Excited for him but also reliving my own memories. I was never the top athlete but never the weakest either. DS1 was a born athlete and cleaned up in all kinds of events except anything to do with throwing LOL. I snapped pictures like crazy and beamed like a proud mama.
Then DS2 hit school. He was not the athlete his brother was and there were lots of tears for a couple years over not getting any ribbons. Lots of talks of just enjoying the day and doing your best then didn't heal the crushed spirits of a little boy. He's growing up now and sprouted like crazy. He is just as uncoordinated as his brother in throwing events, but man that boy can run and jump. I was so pleased to be able to be there and watch him get firsts and seconds and share that experience with him.
And now that's the end of the road for him. High School next and a whole new world of choices out there for him.
Thankfully I am a teacher and I can relive Track and Field ever year with my students. The pop has been replaced by juice boxes, for a healthier choice. It wouldn't be the same though, without those icy cold glass bottles holding that sugary nectar inside. But the enthusiasm is still there...the ribbons...and the carefree days of childhood.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
1 comment:
And although it is many years away for you, you get to do it all over again for your Grandchildren, although next time round you get the chance to sit back and enjoy it without having to wash the kit and get there early. Thanks for your comment on my blog, this is all new for me and I,m loving it so we may meet again.
Post a Comment