Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Month 2 on the jars

Well another month has come and gone. We've had blistering 30C heat ( for me more than 23 is blistering LOL) and cold rain and snow.


The jars continued along nicely this month though I have to say, I really don't like writing in the binder and documenting everything. I barely did it at all. Since I am not carrying over anything in them, perhaps the motivation to write things down  isn't quite there. I just tally up the total of what is in the jars at the end of each week, blog it on here and then stuff it in a holding jar to the end of the month.


I have one more month on this budget and then, as of the end of  June, I am tinkering with the numbers and making my jars align more with Gail's Magic Jars.


I may decide to keep the carry over in the jars as of the new budget and force myself to write in the blasted book  :-)


For this month, I was able to save $300 for the whole month, out of my jar allottment. That's a darn fine amount of snowflakes if I do say so myself. Here is what I plan to do with it:
  • $80 was used as part of a lump sum payment earlier this month so I could check off one full month at the end of my loan being paid off
  • $100 of it will go in my home 'stash' whose purpose I have yet to determine.
  • the remaining $220 will be added to the next lump sum I make after my June loan payment.
How did I save so much? denial mostly. I really have done well narrowing down the fast food we consume. I am by no means cured, but it's a good start. I have cooked a lot out of my pantry and freezer. Now that can't continue on forever as they are the emptiest I have ever seen them. I will have to begin restocking and hopefully find  a few decent sales to help me on my way.


I recognize that with the upcoming budget change there will be fewer snowflakes. They are addictive lil suckers LOL

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

$300 is amazing! So inspiring


When I started using my jars I didn't realise how much I would hate spending the money in them!


laura

Northern Living Allowance said...

What a great remainder! $300 is amazing, considering that's half of my jar(s) amount every month. Wow! Congrats! :)

Maureen said...

We don,t get snowflakes here in Australia at least not here in Queensland LOL. I think the jars are an excellent way of saving I do have a little piggy bank but as fast as I put money into it it comes back out again, as soon as somebody in the house needs change for anything my bank gets raided. I,m thinking of setting up a Nannycam to see who,s doing it.

Unknown said...

We also have money left over from our jars each week it has shown us how much we blow on junk. I save mine and we do fun stuff with it. we also don't use the binder since we have been having money left over I figure we are doing okay without it.