Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

A conversation at the bank

Sorry it's been so quiet. It's been a crazy week at work this week. This weekend is the funeral of a good friend's father, as well as the memorial for my father in law. Let's hope the rain holds off.

I went  yesterday and put a $200 lump sum down on the vehicle loan. I ended up with the same teller who messed up my appointments for RRSPs in January. Makes me want to gnash my teeth.

Teller: How can I help you today?
Moi : I would like to put down $200 as a lump sum down on the principal of this loan (Hands her loan number, my ATM card etc)
Teller: I just need to verify your name (hands her my ID thinking yeah they must get a lot of strangers trying to pay lump sums down on other folks' loans. The nerve LOL)
Teller: So you are paying on your regular amount?
Moi: no, I said I am paying a lump sum on the principle. It's different.
Teller: Well you have  a regular payment coming out tomorrow. Are you sure you want to pay extra down?
Moi: No I had a regular payment come out on the Wed. (Well actually I checked the account repeatedly that day and it came out sometime early in the morning on the Thursday)
Teller: No it says here that you have one coming tomorrow.
Moi: No, my payment date is the  5th.
Teller: (getting annoyed with me) Yes and that is tomorrow!
Moi: No, the 5th was on Wednesday. Today is the 7th.
Teller: Eyes glaring, keyboard frantically clicking. Oh. I have my dates wrong.
Moi: (being generous)  yes well it is Friday
Teller: so why would someone want to put a lump sum down?????
Moi: So that the loan is paid off early.
Teller: Are you having trouble making your payments?
Moi: No, if I were having trouble making payments I probably wouldn't have extra money to pay down the loan. Paying it off even one year early saves me about $1500 to $1700 interest.
Teller: Oh, I didn't know that.

I did take the offered balance statement and I came home to check online that it was done correctly and not just prepaying part of next month's payment. I even kept a smile on my face and used my patient lil teacher voice with her when I really wanted to snap, just a lil LOL

3 comments:

its me, sam said...

Friday must have bee the day for not too bright people working with the public. Smart of you to take the receipt in case she made an error.

The Asian Pear said...

Oh dear... And this person works at your bank?!? God. I wouldn't want her handling my money.

savings said...

oh my! It's hard to understand how she got a job at a bank!