Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

OUCH! darn CPP and EI

So yesterday was my first cheque since my September raise that was 'normal' ish. I had my CPP and EI full deductions back on so it was my first glimpse of how much of a net my raise was. Traditionally, it is about $100 to $125 a month, which is nice to have something match the cost of living.

I opened my paystub this morning (we didnt' get them yesterday) and was surprised to see how much those two deductions have increased. Painful. I don't have my Jan 2009 stub here at work but my 'raise' is about $75 a month, so quite a bit less than what I was expecting.

I currently take home 59% of my Gross Wage. That's right. 41% is deducted. Insane, isn't it?

Of my gross, 21% of my deductions are Federal and Provinical Sales Tax. 5% is for CPP. 9% is for Pension... Sure adds up.

If you feel like sharing....................how much of your Gross do you take  home?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awful, isn't it? They take 31% of mine, but I have all retirement turned off right now while we work our debt snowball.

Keep going!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Gosh - I'm going to have to check this. I never added up the percentages, but I get my pay stub today (pay day tomorrow), so will send it to myself here and try to work that stuff out. I'm sure I'll fall over...

The Asian Pear said...

HOLY! They take 41% of your gross? That's INSANE! I am only deducted about 28% (give or take with every pay cheque).

its me, sam said...

Jolie, my gross so far this year was 4828, I paid 988 in income tax so far, plus another 900 in other deductions. So I'm losing close to 40% in deductions... But I'll have a decent pension when I retire in 15-20 years.

Canadian Saver said...

Mine's a surprising 26% so I really shouldn't complain right now!!

The best tool to calculate your take home income is this website:

https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/rhpd/startLanguage.do?lang=English

It's usually accurate to the penny, if you enter the correct information (province, pay frequencies, etc).

BakinBaker said...

There is 28.2% taken from my pay. I have no retirement coming from my check, only from employer contributions. I do have medical FLEX taken and I buy an additional week off each year.

Anonymous said...

According to my last pay stub. I get to keep 69.55% of my gross. 25.34% is taken off in taxes and 5.1% is taken off in the form of other deductions.

I always have a shock when CPP and EI are deducted in the beginning of the year

Anonymous said...

I'm a SAHM, but they take about 25%off of my hubbys cheques. Not as brutal as yours.. i'd die! lol!

Girl Makes Cents said...

Depends how much I make over the 2 weeks. On average about 28% is deducted though.

Pensions and "dues" for the school boards are killer. Along with the regular CPP, EI, Income Tax, etc.

Jolie said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's so interesting to read how different folks have such different deductions. I guess I can't complain about the pension or CPP or EI as those are all things that will/may benefit me one day.

Just one month a year though, it would be soooo cool to NOT have taxes taken off. Just one month. That's not too much to ask, is it? LOL