When I started this little blog journey back in 2008 I was looking for some answers. I was looking for a way out. I was looking for empowerment.
I am happy to say it was all found.
I fully credit my little blog as being a pivotal part of the successes I have had. It kept me motivated. It kept me accountable. It kept me moving forward and growing. It kept me connected to others on this journey.
I have had so many experiences in the past 10 years and so many of them would not have been possible without getting control of my little bits of money and letting it work for me. I know I did this almost entirely on my own. DH rejected any offers and suggestions I made to try to help him on his end. And where is he? still living cheque to cheque. Still finding himself short. Still finding himself 'surprised' by regular money experiences like Christmas.
I know I write a lot less than I used to. Much of what I do is on autopilot (in a healthy way) and that is a blessing.
Here are some of the highlights of my journey:
- Put DS2 through a 2 year college program
- Put DS1 through 4 years of college in the US
- Travelled to visit him a couple times each year
- Travelled to his big 2 championships
- Bought and paid off early a new vehicle
- Got my mortgage down under $10 000
- Started and saved for a TFSA
- Started and saved for an RRSP
- Saved and paid for renovations to my 1950s house
- Kept a ZERO Credit card balance since early 2009
- I have moved from a woman with young kids to a woman with grown kids starting their own lives.
I feel like this post should be more WOO HOO but honestly I am exhausted.
I am also very proud of what I have accomplished.
The next 10 years will see my teaching career wrapped up. Perhaps a wedding. Hopefully grandchildren. I still have a lot of living to do.
4 comments:
I might be missing something, but do you and your husband have entirely seperaye financial accounts? How does that work. I'm truly wondering-not criticizing.
We do SAM. It certainly isn't ideal and there isn't a lot of teamwork involved. He pays a few of the utility bills, his truck payment etc on labourer wage. I have the rest on a teacher's wage. I know there are many who have a great financial partnership AND separate accounts. This isn't one of them :-) Not sure we should have stayed together, for a variety of reasons but we did.
Congratulations!! You are amazing :)
You've also inspired many of us here, Jolie. Your list of accomplishments is amazing. I'm still struggling, 10 years on, but I only have myself to blame. I always look forward to your posts and I'm glad you're feeling a little more positive. xx
Post a Comment