I have been working, lately, at appreciating more what I have. Some days are more successful than others. I am enjoying my job far more than I have in years, despite the workload tripling. I am getting along well with my son here and my long distance one. I still get sad more than I care for, and troubled by the expenses.
I went home from work a couple Fridays ago. I had been fighting the flu for most of the week. I had tried in vain to get supply teacher, but there were none available. 30 calls. 40 calls. nada. So I had to work Thursday when I really should have been at home. Friday I was lucky enough to find someone who hadn't been snapped up and by 9:40 I was on my way home.
I stopped at the little drug store near my house for.....flu supplies. There was only one other woman in there. The woman had a short conversation with the cashier then headed down an aisle. She appeared tired and worn down. We arrived at the register at almost the same time.
As the cashier put my items through, I turned to see that the woman only had a toothbrush to purchase. I turned and asked the woman if I could buy it for her. I just felt the need for a random act of kindness. She looked at me, a little stunned, handed it to me we put through the $2.99 purchase.
The woman burst into tears and hugged me and then headed off to the parking lot to a truck pulling a small Uhaul unit.
The cashier said "What a nice thing you did. How did you know she needed that so badly?" Apparently during their quick conversation at the register, the woman had asked if there was a public restroom nearby. She had spent the night in her truck, unable to afford a hotel room. She was heading two provinces over to restart her life after her husband had just left her with no home and no money.
It may have just been a toothbrush, but I think that moment gave something to both of us. A little sparkle of hope.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
9 comments:
Jolie, your random act of kindness made me cry ( it's not the first time I've cried reading one of your posts). Simple acts of kindness are the ones that people will remember long after the moment is gone. I'm sure it's a story she'll tell over and over again, either to herself or to others to pass the feeling on!
You are kind Sam. I think, without realizing it, I needed that spontaneous moment even more than she did.
Not quite the same impact, but, on Thanksgiving morning, while also at the drugstore, an elderly woman came in to buy the newspaper. She only had $1 with her. That day's paper, thanks to all the Black Friday inserts, was $2. I just so happened to already have a copy of the paper in my car. I had only bought it for the inserts. So I chased her down in the parking lot and offered her my newspaper. She was grateful/thankful and I was happy to help her out, especially on Thanksgiving. :)
Every time we intentionally or unintentionally send out good energy in the way you did, we are doing good things. We need more and more of those good things, however small, in this world :-) Nicely done Kelly.
"Just a Toothbrush" to us perhaps, but to her, a chance at hope! :)
This was super eye opening the read Jolie. Just as Carla said, something so small to us could represent the world to another. Definitely something I'll be keeping in mind :) Thanks for sharing!
That is so kind of you Jolie. I agree with Carla. You gave her more than "just a toothbrush" that day. :)
This really moved me. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that it's only the grand gestures in life (like a millionaire philanthropist giving away his money) that make a difference to people. I need to keep this closer to my heart and remembe that sometimes it really is the littlest things that can make the biggest impact. xx
Thank you everyone. I am trying to keep moments like that is mind as we navigate the stressful holiday season. There are some cranky people out there in the stores. I wish they could see the season from more of a toothbrush perspective.
Post a Comment