As longtime readers know, I toss my change from my everyday purchases into a jar instead of hanging on to it and putting it back into my jars for groceries or gas or whatnot.
Once a month I count it up and take the full rolls into the bank to put it towards whatever goal is the current target. My bank has the fancy machine that counts it up but I take great pleasure in doing it myself. Each month I report on the change for the month. It is quite amazing how it adds up.
Here is a summary for the year's change:
January - $100
February - $80
March - $42
April - $100
May - $0
June - $118
July - $100
August -$125
September - $30
October - $100
November - $85
December - $100
My year's total for 2013 was an impressive $980
In 2012 my year's total was $549.50
If I were able to shop effectively with my debit card rather than cash, a good percentage of that 'change' would have remained in those budget lines. I just never seem to shop well with only debit. I am much more careful when I shop with cash.
I am grateful for the change and able to use it for my different goals.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
3 comments:
Wow! That really adds up!
Sure does. We have so many darn toonies and loonies instead of bills :-)
Wow! That's impressive to say the least. Do you have an option with your bank to round up on the debit card and have the 'change' deposited to an account? I know there are a couple of banks that do that. I'm learning how the banking works here - there aren't any coin rollers, just little bags to put change into. Same thing, just not as tidy. You were actually the person who motivated me to keep my change, so I plan to carry on in the new year. Looking forward to seeing your numbers in 2014! x
Post a Comment