Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Forgotten bank account?? oh boy!!!

I've seen the ads on TV and on the net. Log into places like 'unclaimed bank accounts' and search your  name and  you find some hits. Pay some $$ and unlock the details of this mystery accounts. Millions of dollars waiting, that no one has claimed. Waiting for you!!

Actually if anyone has a story about one of these I'd love to hear it.  I will confess to dreaming now and again about one of these being mine -  or a long lost relative leaving me money. Now don't get me wrong....I do believe that relative exists. She just hasn't found me yet :P

So when I got the mail on Thursday and found a letter from BMO about an account that hasn't been used in 24 months, it peaked my interest. The letter and envelope looked legit. There was an account number and a contact us or visit your local branch.

Now I am a skeptic from wayyyy back and I know that anyone can make a fake letter or a fake phone number, but it DID say go to your local branch.  I check my accounts list and that number is not on it. I check my last credit check and that account isn't listed on there. hmm. I go to the boys' old bank accounts I established when they were babies (and then later closed when they got their own accounts) and it wasn't one of them. hmmmmm

The letter is only in my name and not a joint one so it isn't one DH and I would have let lapse over the years. hmmmm

With modest visions of a few hundred dollars in them  and what I could do with the money, I headed off to the bank on Friday. I dutifully show them my paper and admit I have no idea what the account is. The teller checks and it is legit. An abandoned bank account. Just waiting for me to claim it. And the balance..........................$7 :-)

You ARE richer than you think. heh

It was rather anticlimactic but, honestly, quite anticipated. I had them transfer it to my chequing account, signed the papers and headed off.


But it does show that even a poor lass like me can have a bank account she doesn't remember.

My mysterious windfall is still out there, somewhere.....I just know it :-)

11 comments:

~Carla~ said...

Hahahaha!! Don't spend it all in one place! ;)

its me, sam said...

anther optimist.... you made me smile this afternoon....

Jeanne Ireland said...

What a coincidence. The other day my husband received a letter from some company saying that they had located abandoned unds in Massachusetts. It said to sign the accompanying papers and they would process the claim. Like you, I was skeptical. One of the pages to be signed was directed to Massachusetts Dept. Of Abandoned Property. That is where we are originally from and I know such a department exists. We thought we would just contact them directly instead of paying someone 10% - if in fact it was true. Well, there is $2000 sitting there waiting to be claimed from an insurance policy that he forgot about and had before we were married!!! We feel like we won the lottery! There is paperwork to complete and it takes awhile to get the check, but who cares?? I will wait for $2000. Can you believe???

Jolie said...

Carla - I will try hard to restrain myself. so many possibilities. a coffee. gum :-)

Sam - always good when I can make someone smile, whether they be laughing with me or at me lol

Jeanne - wow! $2000!! that is amazing. How exciting to rediscover such a great windfall.

Girl Makes Cents said...

Hehehe this is a cute story!! Here's to hoping you have more forgotten bank accounts or wealthy inheritances.

Jane said...

From now on I will investigate any of those sorts of letters...as you've shown you just never know! $7 isn't much, but it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Northern Living Allowance said...

Ha ha! Jolie, that's awesome! Yay for windfalls - even little ones! :)

Cash Only Living said...

Well it's $7 more than you had and the anticipation/excitement that finding it generated should count for something! :)

Nd.chic said...

Hey, 7 bucks is better than nothing. I've heard about people abandoning money and wondered exactly how that happens. I understand a small amount but not large amount.

Tania said...

I once had my part time employer send me a notice that I never cashed a check, to the tune of $400. They sent a letter through the gov't treasury, and I just had to forward my info and got the check a few weeks later. Speaking of, I paid off my dad's car loan, and this weekend we got a letter that we had overpaid... by a whole $2.51. I'll take it and buy an ice cream bar to their name. :p

The Asian Pear said...

Don't spend that $7 all at once now missy!