Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

jars and snowflakes

While the snow is falling for real outside and the temperature nasty, there is much to be said for the snowflakes of the $ variety.

After the end of last week's jar money, I was able to siphon off $20 from gas, $20 from grocery and my unused $20 in spending money. A lovely $60 from the jars.

I also curled up and scratched my gift pack of lotto scratchers and found myself $23 richer on Saturday.

Finally, I got around to cleaning out my mailbox at school on Saturday and remembered I had won $10 in the Survivor pool which finished before Christmas. I will slip down to the bank as soon as I can and deposit the lovely grand total of $93 snowflakes into my savings account. This will go towards my Summer 2012 goal of $1000, which is close to completion, mostly in thanks to little bits here and there.

7 comments:

Cynthia said...

Way to go! That's a great snowflake amount for just one week! I try to get $100 in snowflakes for the entire month!

Jolie said...

Thanks Cynthia. $33 of it was randomly unexpected so that helped .

~Carla~ said...

Awesome!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! I love snowflakes!

LLMM said...

That's great! I've been reading your blog for a while now, but I can't really figure out what exactly the snowflakes are. All extra money, or only certain types of money?

Jolie said...

LLMM - there are lots of different kinds of snowflake definitions. For me, I define snowflakes as extra money coming in, or money that was designated for variable spending that I did NOT spend, and I redirected it to debt or savings.

Mine mostly comes from rolling change, taking in bottles to get the recycling fee and bits from my jars each week that I did not spend. I am currently snowflaking towards my Summer 2012 savings/planned spending goal.

Anonymous said...

what a sweet idea and cute term! I, like probably everyone else have a standard penny jar, but i think your snowflake method is a great idea because you can really get a "visual" as to what the unspent money looks like totalled up.

That in itself must be an incentive to keep going and to try not to spend it on things you might want but don't need.