DS1 got paid yesterday for his work in July washing dishes. It was a long wait for him. He said he had no idea how people survive only getting paid once a month. His dad gets paid weekly and I get paid monthly. There was my prime moment to chime in with a "that's why your mother has to plan things out and create 'fake paydays' each week'
He had a few debts. He owed his father $30. He is 'desperately' wanting a Chicago Jersey before they come to Saskatoon in September. He found one he liked in February when we went to Edmonton. It, however, was $229. He had decided when he was getting his job that he would save for the jersey. Then along came a friend who ofter orders things online and he was ordering a jersey. So DS and a few of his friends got together as they were cheaper with more being ordered. DS paid $30 for the jersey (borrowed from his father). It has not yet arrived so we shall see what quality it is. For $30 it could be a great deal, or a great lesson. He also borrowed money from me to go golfing with his trainer at the fancy golf course. Thirdly, he agreed he would pay for part of his new stick he needs. The sticks run about $250 for his level of hockey. scary chit. We decided he would pay $100 of it.
So yesterday he withdrew $190 of his hard earned money to begin payback. Funny, I had no trouble with him giving me the money he worked hard to earn, for his vehicle insurance, but for this, I really had a hard hard time taking the money from him. He understood it and had no problem giving me money. I had to do a lot of self talk to take it. The mother in me did not want to take his hard earned money. I knew the lesson it created was more important that my desire to take care of him and provide for him.
and in the end, I didn't want to have to pay that MC bill all on my own.
I guess mama needs to keep learning too.
On a side note, my mother and father have decided that they don't want to cut their own grass anymore. They are 69 and almost 75, respectively and they work like dogs at their projects. Far harder than I do. But for some reason they are willing to give this up. DS1 has been hired at $20 a pop to cut their huge lawn. DS2 can do it if DS1 is out of town. Gas money!!!!
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
4 comments:
I guess you'll have to give your son some budgeting lessons now to make his money stretch! ;) I have a hard time eating my kids pay their share of stuff too... I guess that's the mommy gene! ;)
I feel the same way..I hate taking money from the kids...BUT, I've gotten much better at it, especially if they are getting gifts for others...it really should be from them.
I agree with Carla, definitely a Mommy gene...
how sweet ---- I am with you though ~ dd (7) earns allowance & extra $ around the house for doing extra chores & such... and if we are somewhere & she wants to buy something, she will ask me if she can pay me when we get home - so she goes to give me the money in which she has no trouble paying for it herself, & I feel horrible taking it! like Carla & Sharon said, 'mommy gene'
start them off young I say! :D
Post a Comment