Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

A week of This n That

As I write this....it is a soft morning outside with a cool breeze coming in my front door screen. I am curled up with my coffee, listening to the birds, watching Til Debt Do Us Part - Home Edition, and catching y'all up on my week.

It has been a very different week for me, with DH and DS2 away in BC for their Scouting Jamboree. As I write this, they are now off the ferry and back on the mainland  and slowing driving their way home. I've heard a few times from them (thanks be to texts) and while it has rained a lot, it sounds like they have had a fantastic time. The theme was Lord of the Rings, so I suspect DS2 had a fantastic time. They had a 'news from the Shire' on youtube each night, which let me see some of the things happening there, but I did not see our local group.

On the homefront, it's been rather quiet with just two of us here. I have caught up on the laundry, and know that as soon as the guys get home, I'll be swamped again.  I have puttered about in cleaning the house, catching up on bill filing etc, but I can't say that I have accomplished anything massive, aside from rejuvenating myself.

I started back at the gym. A shmeful waste of money I have been giving them each month and not going. It was almost paralyzing fear going the first time. I am not sure why...it's a ladies gym and a small one at that. In fact, when I got there, there was only the worker and myself. I know I am woefully overweight and out of shape and if we put the whole scale number aside......just my physical health is ridiculously poor. I have also been walking about 3.5 K once, and more often, twice a day. I do love walking and my heart rate does go up. Another sad commentary on my physical condition.

One of the worst parts of the summer so far have been the infestation of mosquitos. Hey I'm from Sask. We always have mosquitos. It's our provincial bird!!  But this summer is one of the worst in a long time. The reason is simple - our river flooded this June and there is heaps of stagnating water lying around in the low parts. They started to hatch last Monday, July 4th and just got worse and worse. They cling to the screen, just waiting for us to open the door. You have to run to your vehicle to get in and then spend time killing them before you start to drive, or they divebomb your face. To go walking, I had to douse myself in OFF which kept most of them off, though they still go after your face. They (the town) sprayed Thurs night though and I have to say it's been significantly better. Good thing too as there was no OFF to be found in town.

Thanks to the walking and the gym and watching what I eat, I have lost 3 pounds. A teaspoon in an ocean, but one has to start somewhere.

DS1 and I ran into the city on Monday. He needed his passport renewed. His bad mother let it expire as of January 31 of this year so we had to go through the whole thing again.  He needs his passport for his trip to Europe at Easter, but as well, he needs it for his hockey camp at the end of August. The Western Hockey League plays out of both Western Canada and the North Western States. If he makes this team he would be living in BC and travelling. I am not sure I am ready for this but we can't have this strong of an opportunity present itself and not pursue it to the fullest.

We went to CAA for our passport pics and got them for free since we had booked his trip through there. yeah some  $ saved. You can mail away the forms but I needed them to be on time and I always fear I will fill something in wrong and have to redo them. So off DS and I went to Saskatoon so we could file for the passport in person (no in person in our week community).  He and I haven't had captive audience alone time in quite a long time so it was an amazing 'date' day. We talked about so many different things. I truly do enjoy his company and the two of us get along quite well.  After we found the building for passports, we hit the mall. His shoes were falling apart. Then we treated ourselves to a quick lunch at the food court and off to the movies we went. Transformers 3 in 3D. Now I am not the huge transformer fan that the rest of my household is, but I enjoyed the entertainment and watching it through my son's eyes. We did not  get  snacks from the concession, though I will confess to having a massive hot flash - personal chinook :P and sent him for water so I would stop feeling like I was about to burst into flames.

DS1 has been working a few nights a week and starting last night, he works the next 8 or 9 in a row. We learned that he gets paid once a month (not every two weeks, like I thought) so I will have to front him a bit of gas money until the end of the month. He is not far from meeting his goal for his plates so he is deciding on his next goal. He knows he needs to build up a gas fund for the time he is not working. He really would like a jersey from his favourite team - Chicago. We have tickets to see their exhibition game in the city in September. He also will need another stick for the fall. I have told him if he wants to save for the stick, I will match him dollar for dollar. If he wants the jersey, he is on his own. Both items are over $200. It has been interesting to see how he waffles back and forth over what goal he wants.

I spoiled myself a little this week too.  I went with a friend for a pedicure on Tuesday. My feet badly needed it. I could pumice them every night and I just can't get rid of the yuck so I felt positively indulged with soft, nice feet.  On Wed, I drove for three hours (one way) to meet a friend I haven't seen in 7 years. She drove three hours and we met in the middle for a good 3 hour long coffee and walk in the park. Texting and emails and the occasional phone call is great, but it felt SO good to visit in person. I have to say it is beyond weird to know I could just leave home and not worry about the children ( ok, the one child). I just got in my car and drove. What a change for me and such a liberating and also frightening feeling.

I spoiled myself again last night and drove to the city with a friend to watch Bad Teacher. It was showing here in town earlier but going to a theater where I literally know EVERYONE to watch a bad comedy just feels wrong. I wouldn't have been able to relax. the movie was awful and funny and it was great to get away and visit with my friend from town. Our worlds are both busy and we don't often have time to connect face to face.

The money for the above spoilings came from my entertainment budget as well as some of the summer savings money.

So today??? Well I need to cut the lawn today. I should go do my parents' as well. Brother in law asked DS to cut his grass again this week (gas money!!!)  I am not sure how hot it is supposed to get so I need to pick a good time. Several houses on the street got egged on Fri night. I didn't notice our garage was hit until I was just about to leave yesterday afternoon. I sprayed and did a quick scrub but as I got home last night, I could see that it has either stained or needs more scrubbing. I need to buy some CLR today and get my gloves on and scrub again.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ditto what she said. I have not had a kid free house like that in - wait - I have not had a kid free house. Sometimes I look forward to it, but like you it does sound a little frightening as well.

I am glad you were able to rejuvenate. Much needed for overworked moms!

its me, sam said...

It sounds like you had a great week Jolie! I love pedicures, nothing feels better that soft feet!

laura said...

It sounds like you had a much needed week of rejuvination..and I'm glad that you treated yourself to a pedicure!

jpkittie said...

WOW! sounds great! Love the fact that you are going back to the gym! That is so good for you :)