Pages

Saturday, July 2, 2011

shameful food waste

So as DS1 wandered from fridge to cupboard, unsuccessful on his hunt, I realized there wasn't a whole lot in the fridge.

My home has been rather neglected the past 3 weeks in a lot of ways. I had pulled a lot of 12 hour days at work and I honestly don't know what DH fed those two boys.  I knew I needed groceries. I also knew that I was not putting fresh, delicious new groceries in a fridge that was dirty. First on the list to do was to pull everything out of my fridge and scrub scrub scrub.

There was some pretty questionable items in the crispers, particularly in the veggie one. There was a bad of (I think) broccoli that degraded enough to contaminate all his veggie friends - so out went the bag, some sad withered carrots, some cauliflower, two tired peppers and some say it ain't so celery.

The fruit side fared much better: two shriveled apples and 2 grapefruit that were awful when they were fresh. Must have just been a bad batch. woody and bitter.  I think we just kept putting them back in the crisper in hopes they would improve.

I was merciless in the door of the fridge: out went the expired salad dressings, gone were the two marinades we tried and just never liked. The garlic bulb had seen better days so it was gone too.

In the main part I had two single serving yogurts I found in the back, some questionable deli meat, some dried out tortillas, a couple of 'anyone remember what was in this plasticware' containers and an egg carton with no friends inside. I blame DS2 for that one.

When it was all freshly cleaned out, I returned to the fridge, the items which made the cut. There weren't many. As I cleaned I jotted down the items I threw out which I would want to replace. Then I went to the weekend flyers and made my 2 lists for my 2 shopping destinations.

Food wasted = bad
Clean fridge with pretty fresh fruits, veggies and foods in it =  good

4 comments:

~Carla~ said...

12 hr days would do me in too! lol! Yay for a clean happy fridge!! :)

Kristine Maitland said...

Sometimes I think that fridges were designed so that food can spoil in them. I'm just one person - I can't imagine what it would be like to have a family. Good job getting the fridge clean, though.

Krystin said...

I so need to do this too! My fridge sounds just like yours did!

Sharon said...

I think I was doing the same thing at the same time! I've been neglecting cleaning out both the pantry and fridge and unfortunately too much food waste came from it..BUT, a clean fridge and fresh food is the bonus!