Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Financial Time Machine

There are moments when I dream about what it would be like if I could go back in time, using what I've learned about money and budgets in the past three years. If only Sheldon and Leonard's (Big Bang Theory) TimeMachine could come to me.

This isn't a negative post, full of pessimism and feelings of wasted years. It's more one of playful curiousity.

We grew up at the lower end of middle class, or the higher end of lower class.  There wasn't money for extras. We didn't go ANYWHERE if it wasn't camping (in tents) or fishing. Eating out was rare. I do remember, however, how fun it was to go to the A & W drive in and have them deliver food to our window. Mom and Dad worked their hineys off. There were no extra activities that were not church ones and mostly free. Well after my three sisters moved out, there was money for vocal lessons for me. I loved those.

I got my first job when I was 15 going in 16 (I promise I won't break into Sound of Music...maybe :-)  I used that money for gas when I got a car, for clothes and make up and for time with friends. I don't recall asking mom for money when I ran out. I also know I spent with no thoughts of savings or goals or making it last. There was no 'when you get paid, the first thing you do is set aside 10%, then fill your tank with gas and THEN if there is money left...'   I do remember, however, a lovely outfit consisting of mint green stirrup pants, a 'to the knees' mint and pink sweater, some fantabulous pumps and faux pearls looped about my neck. I rocked that outfit!!!!  Ahhh the joys of the 80s LOL

When I went to university it was much the same. I didn't go hog wild with partying or clothes or pizza every night but neither did I say "hmm I have $x for the month so how much do I have for each week?"

Same with when I got married. sigh

I just don't think I had an understanding or awareness of money. Heck I am still evolving on that. Money was not really spoken of. Taboo. Like talking to your mom about sex. Just did NOT happen. Don't get me started on the 'it's wonderful being a girl' pamphlet I found on my bed that was my only information about the joys of the menstrual cycle LOL

I don't think the word 'budget' was even a word I knew.  

Budgeting can be fun and just think of all the missed years of fun I lost by not knowing about it. What wonderful habits I could have had by now with my little lists and scratch math everywhere. Perhaps DH and I would have been on the same page financially and we could have grown together, working together for common goals. (I think I just heard picket fences burst out of the ground in front of my house :P

Alas there is no what if and all I have is what I have now. I would like to think that I can live through my 40s without heaps of massive regret and guilt. I did enough of that in my 30s.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a side note, I was cleaning out one of my school bags. I have several. This one served as a storage for my work in progress Inquiry Unit I was working on last year. I found my favourite pen, some white out ribbon, a very fuzzy mint (certs.....wintergreen), several scratch notes about money and budgeting from last year and....................$5. wheee! I rarely find money anymore so this was fun. I immediately added that to the jar that holds the savings for the plates and changed my sidebars for it. Ahh such fun.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. I have been wishing for a time machine quite a bit lately. What's amazing, though, is I really did know what to do - I just didn't bother to use my head knowledge. I'm just thankful I woke up while in my 40s instead of in my 70s. There's still a bit of time left, God willing, and I'll eventually be able to reap the rewards of doing it right this go-round. Yay for finding $5!! How fun!

Sarah

Green said...

I, too, would like a financial time machine. To think of all the things I could've made better choices on :)

Sharon said...

Your childhood sounded very much like mine. I never asked my parents for money, nor did I need something so bad that I felt I was from want. If only....yes, I think we all do that. I'm just grateful I know what I need to now with more than 20 years left before retirement.

Stephanie said...

Yayyy for finding $5! I hear you about a time machine. I have gone through SO MUCH MONEY over the past 5 years. I try not to think about it too much because it brings on a lot of guilt but I try to use it to remind me of why I am pushing so hard now to get out of debt and grow my savings. I wish someone taught me good money skills when I was a kid though.

Anonymous said...

ah ... stirrup pants and gaudy long jumpers, the memories!! :)

B-Kat said...

So important to have a PLAN! I know that I sure didn't in my 20's and early 30's. I had goals but not a clue how I could make them happen.

Ahh Regret. My friend told me that we only reason we have the feeling "regret" is because it is physically impossible to kick our own butt. It would be nice to kick yourself in the pants and then just carry on some days.

Now thankfully older and wiser and on budget.

Too bad that pamphlet (that was on my bed too) didn't have financial planning joys as well!

Jane said...

Now you can appreciate an extra $5, amazing isn't it? I often play that game and thing where I'd be now if I'd been saving all of my life. But ya can't go back.
PS I still have that book tucked away in my mementoes box, it was the same book she gave to my two older sisters. The dress on the girl on the front looked liked something they wore in the 1940's - huge skirt, tiny tiny waist. As if!

The Asian Pear said...

I try not to let my past define me in a negative way. I try to think that every experience I've had has helped lead me up to the person I am. And I've learned from those experiences. Think of who you are now. Granted Jolie at 20 might not have been financially saavy, but Jolie now only exists because of your past. Try not to dwell.

:)