Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bleeding Money

Yanno, I did fantastic in December. I was on budget and things were pretty smooth. January was good as well. No riduculous post Christmas fees. February was alright but things started to feel tight and tense. March! oh lordy March. Could that month have been any longer? I thought it was never going to end and I felt behind the whole time.

but April will be better right????? sigh. April was the worst yet. I feel like I am on a train of financial negativity and I need to get back on top again.

April was a month of bills. Money was flying out left and right. Some of it was planned and saved for. Other expenses were not. Poor planning. Not enough thinking ahead. Not enough strength to stick religiously to the jars. Every new expense felt like a hit. I dreaded them. It wasn't/isn't a great feeling.  I need to spend a bit of time here before Monday's payday to get back on top of things....tabulate where the money is at and make a plan for ease of mind for the last 2 months of school.


Some of the expenses were:
  • hockey camp weekends - unprepared for - about $100 in costs for the camps and quick runs between icetime to feed him. We didn't know ice time until we got there (that's the norm) and some sessions had very short breaks between them. Part of that was 2 skate sharpenings and a set of laces (6+6+7)
  • Pre camp ice sessions - unprepared for - about $50 -  he hadn't skated since mid Feb and in order to show well, he needed his skate legs back. One of the older boys booked ice sessions and everyone who came pitched in $10 to help cover costs. It's always a risk on the part of the booker as you never know if you're going to get enough kids to cover the costs. We've done it twice in previous years and have not.
  • Scouter weekend (aka let's hit the ditch time) - unprepared for. - $130 - I really should have written down all these dates ( I have now). It's the gas that is the killer. The above money went for gas, subway for DS2 and his friend on the way up (they have to arrive fed) and a quick bite for me on the way home. Six hours of driving. Blech. There are many of these scouter trips coming up between now and end of August.
  • Music Festival - $10 for myself and my mom for entry when DS2 played.
  • Summer Bible Camp for DS2 - This was planned for and saved for - $375. He is going the last week before school starts this summer. It was the only date which did not interfere with his Scouting Adventures.
  • Annual Package Policy for my vehicle. - planned and saved for - $350 - This policy goes above and beyond the basic plan that our 'plates' insurance covers. In total, I pay close to $1400 a year for the two insurance policies.
  • Second Installment of DS1's Europe Trip - unplanned for - $700 - This is due next Wednesday. It will then leave me with a balance of $3000 which I will need to figure out a way to save for by February of 2012.  Where will this money come from? I will not be paying  the hoped for $600 EXTRA on my vehicle loan next week. I will take a further $100 from my planned savings (Christmas, Back to school, EF etc) I do NOT consider this an emergency so I will not be taking this out of my EF.
  • Baptism - unplanned - $50. My niece decided at almost the last moment to bring her son home to be baptized Easter Sunday. I contributed the turkey for the family meal at my mom's. That was already in my freezer. I will give him $50 towards his RESP education savings. He has a grandmother, great grandmother and an auntie who will spoil him with 'things'. I will be the auntie who gives towards future schooling. I am ok with that. I have to be. With the number of new babies on the way, I have to set precedence carefully.
  • DS2's birthday - planned - $100. $50 from me to put towards his much needed boots for this scouter weekend and all his future scouting trips. He loves them. After last weekend in the snow, his were the only feet dry. $50 went to DS1 who then bought his brother a Chapter/Indigo Gift Card. man DS1 needs a job.
  • New baby - unplanned - $20 - no not mine! lol One of the girls at work had her baby last week so I chipped in money to the envelope that some of the staff are giving her.
there is probably more. As I think of them I will add them. Time to go iron the dress shirts for the boys to wear tomorrow for Baptism

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh, I can relate to most of these "unplanned" expenses...(We are not into scouts or ice hockey, but there is soccer and band events, etc.) Kids are expensive, period. I know you have to pay for the Europe trip all by yourself, that's got to be tough. I know you'll figure a way to do this. You are a GREAT Mom!! Don't forget to plan something really nice for yourself for May 8th! You deserve it!!

Out My window said...

I think there is something in the air. How can we all live in different parts of the world and all have the same March and April? When you have kids that want to go to Europe it really costs money. We almost lost our youngest daughter to toxic shock syndrome. You never really get over a doctor that comes in and says, she was a strong young woman in peak physical condition, would you mind signing these papers so we can harvest her organs? Well she recovered and immediately wanted to go to France with her French club. Not thinking both her Father and I said yes. At this point we would deny her nothing. We had to pay for this trip in installments, but we did it with out borrowing or going into debt. It was the first major thing I had ever done without going into debt. It showed me that I could pay cash for major things if I put my mind to it. It is just the unexpected that gets me down. Were all here with you.

Jane said...

Yup I hear ya! I thought I'd catch up in April but thanks to a lower than usual refund I have fallen behind again. Then I felt smug that in May I'd get all caught up, then remembered we are going out of town for a wedding so there is hotel expense, eating out plus haven't bought the gift yet. Then we are out of town again the following weekend for my birthday. Michael is paying for that but I'm sure there will still be some expenses I'll need to contribute to like gas, snacks, shopping etc.
Insert huge sigh here. So lot's of budget readjusting to do which means less debt paydown and less going into savings. SUCKS!!

Sarah said...

My goodness!! I don't have kids yet but If I did I would be in the same boat as you. Hockey is a big deal for me and I hope one day for my kids. I attended church camp and I hope my kids will one day too. Europe is lovely and I like you would try never to deny my kids that chance. But gosh I feel your pressure when you lay it out like that. The dollar only stretches so far. I hope you kids one day recognize all that you do to make stuff for them happen. I know you feel like your 'bleeding money' but once you get past these commitments you'll stop feeling this way I am sure of it!!

The Asian Pear said...

ouch. yeah. these unplanned expenses really add up! maybe may will be better? *is hopeful*