I was really excited to welcome two visitors to my class on Friday. They both work at a local bank and are there on behalf of a program called Junior Achievement. One of the girls is the one I taught who handles my RRSP.
We are currently exploring careers, budgets and money in our Career Guidance course and this fit in perfectly. The ladies spoke on money with my students. They described the different forms of currency (cash, debt, prepaid cards, credit cards) and how all those systems really work. I was surprised to learn several of them didn't REALLY understand the concept of debit cards vs credit cards. They spoke on how important it was to establish a good credit history and how things like their cell phone bills can affect it, even at their early ages.
They played money/budget bingo and ran through a bunch of consumer purchase scenarios. The ladies taught them about consumer rights and business owner rights.
It was a fantastic opportunity for my kids to ask questions to 'real money people', and ask they did. It was great and it is a presentation I am going to continue to book, year after year, as I think the lessons they learn are really important.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
8 comments:
Sounds like a great lesson. It's surprising what money concepts kids do and do not know about. It's great that you are helping them learn more about it since I'm sure a lot don't receive those lessons at home.
Wish we'd had that kind of stuff in school when I was young. Experience was our teacher and lots of bad mixed in with the good. What a great opportunity for your students!
I wish somone had taken the time to teach me finances at school, maybe today I would be in a whole different place !!!
that is pretty awesome!!!
Sounds like a really interesting class and what a great opportunity for the kids. In fact, the whole Career Guidance Course sounds good. I don't recall anything like that when I was in school.
That's neat! I remember in high school math class we were to come up with a mock budget and were given our salary & profession along with family size... Was pretty cool to do! Gives you a little dose of "reality"!
Learning about money at an early age is really beneficial to them when they're grown up. I agree with all the rest here that said this sounds interesting and a great lesson.
that is awesome. it's so great to see the young generation learn this stuff. no one ever taught me. and I learned the hard way. >_<
Post a Comment