Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

This n That

wow it feels like I never get here anymore. I have been reading diligently, all the wonderful things you have all written,but I haven't had a chance to sit down and write.

There have been 2 funerals in my world in the past week. Very tragic circumstances. One was a lady who sometimes worked at our school (casual) who was unwell last week, diagnosed with cancer by Friday and passed away yesterday. It's so  unbelievably sad. The other was not 'natural causes' and very sad too. We had word this week as well that two other teachers in neighbouring schools have been diagnosed with cancer, both very late stages so it either progressed  quickly or they were diagnosed late. Our school staff communities have been pulling together trying to support in whatever ways we can.

We need so very badly for spring to come. Everyone is sick at work. The lack of sunshine this winter has caused folks to be more sad/depressed etc.

DS1 is still on the hunt for a part time job. While I can't go IN to the stores with him, I am having to step him through the process. We did a resume together and I have shown him how to fill in the different kinds of application forms. I stepped him through how to speak to a manager, the things to say and the things not to say. I hope something comes around for him soon.

There have been lots of family issues at school too, with  my students. I've been doing lots of one on one counselling and it starts to take a toll on a girl.

Beyond that, it's payday today. I will be busy today transferring  $ around and taking care of some bills. There should be a few sidebar updates soon. My tax refund is not yet in but as soon as that is in, I will be applying that to my vehicle loan.

The winds have been bitter cold this week so it's been inside recesses. We are all going a little bit stir crazy.

6 comments:

its me, sam said...

Jolie, it's hard when things like that happen. The one on one with the students really does take a toll on the body. Some days you hear things that make you shake your head in amazement. Fingers crossed that your son gets a job soon and spring finds it's way to you!

Anonymous said...

oh how sad about those teachers. It is hard when things like this happen, shakes everyone up.
hopefully you get a bit of break soon, do you have days off work for Easter in the US?

Sharon said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the teachers and what appears to be an outbreak of cancer. (Sometimes these things are called "clusters", has anyone looked into this?) I have great respect for your profession, my daughter is a high school teacher, and hates parent confrontations. Hopefully you find a way to unwind and destress at the end of the day!

After having 60's and 70's last weekend, it appears that we may get snow tomorrow. Um, what?

I hope spring comes for all of us ...real soon!

Jane said...

I lost a brother-in-law this week. He became ill two weeks ago and went downhill very quickly. As he was separated for 15 years from my sister the burden of all the arrangements fell to my niece and nephew and they did an admirable job under tough circumstances.
Here it is sunny but very cold and we had another dump of the white stuff after getting rid of it all. It's the winter that never ends.

The Asian Pear said...

That's so sad and so unexpected. :( And with the neighbouring school's teachers diagnosis.

Do you live in a smaller town? I can see how it would affect you all more. Quite shocking to the entire community.

Jolie said...

Thanks everyone. Means a lot to me. In a small town things often are magnified as most everyone knows everyone.

Louise, I am in Canada. Easter days off vary from province to province. We are fortunuate enough to get a week at Easter.

Jane - I am so sorry to hear that. My condolences.