Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bad case of the bitters

Some major envy going on in my world right now and I know it's not a healthy place to be in. Perhaps I just have cabin fever...or I need something different to shake my world up right  now. I 'feel' very boring and I'm struggling with 'never having anything or going anywhere'.

I think this has spawned from some of my family's recent activity. Sister 2 did her 'trip of a lifetime' to Egypt in Nov/Dec (before all hell broke loose over there). Sister 3 is off to the Mayan tomorrow with her two youngest (I think the kids are going. They are 17 and 15). Niece 1 and her Signifcant Other built this wonderful house. Niece 2 has a fancy new house to go with new baby. Nephew 1 and his girlfriend went to Mexcio right after Christmas. Nephew 2 and new wife just got back from the Dominican on Friday and they also have fancy new house. Niece 3 is finishing  her Geology Degree (which she has worked her assss off for) and has been offered a 2 year contract with a company in Australia.

No one in our family is more than middle class, if one wants to define things that way. We're not rich and we've all come from relatively humble backgrounds. All except Niece 2 have gone to post secondary. Electricians. Welders. Youth Drug/Alcohol Counsellor. Home Care Nurse (that's one of the nephew in laws).

It's very common in Sask for people to jet away to somewhere warm over the winter. It used to be more uncommon but not so much anymore. Heck even on my facebook page today I had over 12 different people on there giving there 'woo hoo so long 40 below Sask, hello Mexico/Dominican/Disney/Costa Rica.

We all make different choices with our money. I suspect almost all of the family listed above are 'financing' their trips...with different speeds of payoff.

Could I get a loan to finance a big trip? yup. In fact I did that...........5 years ago to take DS1 to Europe for hockey. I also know it took me 4 years to pay that loan off. I don't want to be in that place again....lol but neither do I want to be in the "I never get to do anything' place I currently am in.

This too shall pass, I know. I will be fine and process/swallow/deny my feelings and life will move on. Right now though, I need to  shake the bitter betties.

9 comments:

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

I think it's normal to feel that way sometimes...and maybe I'm a bad PF blogger for saying it, but perhaps tucking away even $25-$50 per month in a trip fund would make you feel better? You kick ass at paying your car down early, but it's okay to plan for some fun too. I went on some smaller trips last summer while I was paying off credit card debt (camping, Hearst Castle, and to visit a friend in Portland), and I don't regret it at all.

And yes, knowing that they're probably in debt for the trip is true...but I understand the jealousy anyway. Hang in there!

B-Kat said...

I feel your pain. I sit in the lunchroom and listen to all of the vacation plans. Hawaii, skiing in the mountains, African safari, 2 weeks here 2 weeks there...

Where am I going? "My house", "work" and "the hockey rink" Wheeeee!

We are throwing around the idea of an Oilers game in March. I heard that tickets are very reasonable. Not a top team but my boys love them! Stay with family to save money. Could be just a little break in the winter.

Hang in there! I know that you follow Fabulously Broke...
http://www.fabulouslybroke.com/2011/02/how-to-combat-frugaldebt-fatigue/

I've bookmarked that post and have read it a few times. It has helped me feel better about my financial quest.

Keep plugging along!

(Love your blog by the way! I can relate to so many things you talk about.)

The Asian Pear said...

If it makes you feel any better, I am seriously hankering to get away too. But it won't likely happen until 2012 for me at the earliest as I have school & I have to save up the money?

Why don't you try snowflaking to save some cash to go somewhere? It needn't be a trip to somewhere far or expensive. Maybe even a trip down to the states with the family?

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! I'm listening to everyones stories of overseas holidays during the Christmas break, sigh... and a few friends have retired in the last 2 years and are travelling. it's hard some days, but our turn will come. In the meantime stick to your plan.

The Witch said...

Great post! I just love the snow angels, so cute. Makes me want to run outside and make one myself. I could with all the snow that is coming down.
I wonder how happy all your relatives are when the bills start to arrive? In less you really save and plan for extra spending you can come home to lots of memories but a huge debt to pay off throughout the year or years to come for some.
I feel your pain as everyone around me at work and friends are jet setting around the world. Here I am trying to save for a dream trip to Disney World which may take a couple of years. I'm thinking maybe my retirement vacation for hubby and I.
But it will be fully paid for with lots of spending money and exciting events to see.
Right now my priorities are just focused in a different perspective!

Maureen said...

Because it is just me saving and budgeting Hubby keeps coming up with holiday plans, most don,t come to anything, but we do have a fairly inexpensive trip planned for the end of March.
At first I was annoyed about having to spend the money, but now I,m hanging out for the break.
I also think you should be adding a holiday fund into your budget, everyone needs a break now and again.

Remember you are a long time dead

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh, I feel the same way...most of the time. Our closest friends go away on cruises, vacations, and various weekend get-a-ways all the time. We do not. We do not have the funds for it, and quite frankly, I keep hearing Suze Orman and her "denied" voice all the time if I even approached her with "Can I afford it?". Hopefully spring will be here soon, and we will both feel like we are doing something. Anything. Hang in there.

Serendipity said...

I so feel this way, quite often I'm afraid. I'm 25 and the farthest I've been from home is Michigan to see Rambo's family for Christmas but we never go on vacation. I'm 25 and I always envy seeing people who have the funds to travel. Why can't I travel? Didn't I put off having kids to be worry free and indulge in whims like this? But then I have to stop and look around and think to myself, " I'm in much better straights, I live within my means and I'm taking care of business." It will pass soon!

Jane said...

Lots of folk feeling the same way as you! Right now I'm just wishing I could get out of the house. Since I got this virus 2 weeks ago this is my 3rd weekend of feeling like crap. Last weekend I went out anyways and have paid the price all week and although I wouls love to go out for our weekly Sunday hike have decided to stay put and try to get WELL! Sometimes life just SUCKS, but then it always gets better. I would dearly love to travel somewhere warm but I don't want to part with the $$ so just hanging in there til it's trailer season (about 1 more month) and then time to drive to PEI (July). I think it's about having something to look forward to. What could you plan that would be fun yet economical?