Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Planning Ahead

Everyone who reads my blog knows I'm a little A type personality. It pops up in the lists I make, the various scenarios I plan out and my love of counting change.

The key to paying my vehicle off early are the extra monthly payments I make. Now my bank has no specified amount I can put down extra on it. No minimum. No maximum.

But being this wonderful A type personality, I really reallllly prefer whapping a a complete extra payment on top.  My current payment is $591.40.  My budget currently has $400 extra dollars a month to whap  on that loan. But you see, I really reallly want the full payment. Then I can come home and draw a pretty little line through my book where I have each of the month payments written in. There is such a rush crossing a payment off from 2014 or 2013.

I can hear laughter in the blogosphere. I know :P

I have a deficit of just under $200 to make up so that I can cross off an extra one each month. I was good before Christmas when I had maxed out on my CPP and EI and had extra $ to complete that lovely lil A type goal.

I knew though, last fall, that come January, my paychecks would reflect the full brunt of deductions and I would be back to just the $400. So last fall, I started to plan. I knew I would need $200 extra for my payments from Feb 5 to July 5. so $1000 extra. So I slowly began to save. I made a little check list with the months, Feb 5 through July 5th.  Once I had snowflaked $200, I would tuck that money away and check the first month off the list.

Still laughing? I would be. lol

Anything I saved before xmas was counted as my 2010 snowflakes even if they are not yet used.

So where am I in this Dr Evil plan??? I have now saved up the $200 for Feb, March, April and May. I am close to having June complete. It's a great feeling, and I can't wait until I can cross off another one.

yes, it's official. i am weird.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet scratching off months from 2014 and 2013 is soooo satisfying. What kind of little book is this that you've got them in to mark off? I'd love to hear more about how you set that up (is it a calendar, is it just in a notebook listed out, or what).

Jolie said...

When I bought the vehicle I listed out 5 columns of 12 month dates to represent the 60 months. It's just in a pretty lil journal notebook.

I did the same with my consolidation loan.

its me, sam said...

Oh, Jolie you are definitely a Type A personality! I love the idea of crossing the payments off in a little note book. I think I'll have to do something very visual for my debt repayments. I'm thinking of a big wall chart. I thinking that may be a good project for tomorrow!

Niki said...

This is a great idea. I like lists mostly because I like crossing things off my list, this is perfect.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're weird, more like normal in my world!

Maureen said...

Your more than normal you are me LOL

I spent about 4 hours last night writing out weekly budgets which will take me right up to 1st of July, I now know on a weekly basis how much I have in each account and how much is sitting in my main account to cover bills.
I also know exactly where my debts stand and what date I can expect to have them paid off, completely anal I know but I love it.

Iris said...

I love this and very much enjoy your "Type A" - ness. Keep up the good work!

Jane said...

I don't think you're weird at all, in face, I want to be like you when I grow up! But then...I've always gotten along really well with weird people:)

Sharon said...

Hey, if you saved all that money already, why not throw it on the car payment now? (did I understand that right?) Then you can cross it all off?

I wasn't laughing. Not one bit. In fact, I felt like I found my soulmate. :)!

Dreamin said...

Wow, you sound so organized and committed. Good for you! You are an inspiration to me.

Girl Makes Cents said...

That's so awesome Jolie! I wish I had a more regular income to be able to plan further in advance like that. Glad you are going to be able to continue to put extra payments on that loan!