Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

awol this n that

It's been a whirly week. Weatherwise it's been freezing and windy and snowing and blowy. It certainly affects mood, both for my students and for grownups. Roads have been challenging and there have been lots of accidents.

At work this has been a week of meetings. Everyday there was one at noon and a couple after school as well.

My boys began their final exams this week. It was a lot of evenings of studying foundation math (yuck) and cracking the whip while they came up with rough drafts for their English essay finals. DS2 only had to write 2. DS1 has a pyschology 20 to write later this week. Now I do love psychology...I even have a minor in it, but it's all in French and there are a lot of different phrasings that makes it harder for me to help him study.

DS2 is off to a scouting winter camp this weekend. We are carpooling with another family from here who goes. They are driving up and we will go tomorrow to pick the boys up.

DS1 had hockey last night and again this afternoon. He's busy tomorrow reffing so that means he'll earn some gas and spending money. He's starting to see the value in that.

I am looking forward to payday this coming week. Bad news though that EI and CPP contribution percentages have gone up. That means that I will net less for January 2011 than I did for January 2010. That will mean I need to tinker with my budget and see where I am going to cut. I won't know until payday what the end result will really mean.

I had $30 left from the jars this week so I am throwing that into the snowflake jar. That's always a rainbow.

6 comments:

Dreamin said...

I totally hear you on the having to make minor adjustments to the budget since EI and CPP limits went up.

Our Direct Energy Bill for heating keeps going up and up each month - but the temp as been set at 18 degrees since Oct, so that is super frustrating, when I'm not putting the heat up (which I would love to do).

The snow and roads have been realy challenging here in Edmonton also.

Niki said...

The snow has been unbearable here too. When it is sooo cold I don't want to do anything.
Way to go on your $30. That is always good news.

Sharon said...

So sorry to hear about all the bad weather. It is only cold here, thankfully.

I'm not sure what EI or CPP is, but anytime a paycheck gets lowered, it's hard.

Having $$ left over is always a good thing.

Jane said...

Don'tcha love NOT knowing how much our pay is going to be?? January wasn't too bad because Dec.31st paycheque was big, but February's pays are going to be much more LEAN if you know what I mean. Oh well, we'll just take the belt in another notch:)At least we can't complain that our lives are boring and predictable lol!

Maureen said...

I,m with Sharon here I don,t have a clue what they mean, but I do know that a change in circumstances can really stuff up a budget.

Jolie said...

EI - Employment Insurance. Used to be called Unemployment Insurance. mandatory govt deductions that go into a National Pool for those who lose their job and are eligible for gov't assistance. The one time I applied for it, back when I had no job and 2 kids it was a holy nightmare.

CPP - Canada Pension Plan. Mandatory govt deductions that go into a pool that I can tap into when I am 65.

The % is calculated based on your gross wage and apparently the % that comes off is going up.

It's -1 C here today. almost feels like I should dig out my shorts LOL