We started in the recroom with his scouting things. He has a whole big bookshelf filled with tubs of different items and stacks of papers and binders. I honestly thought that if we could do this, it would be OMG wow. I told him to look at it and imagine 1/5th of it gone. Hint...use a weird fraction, outside of the traditional 1/2, 1/4, 3/4 etc. It confuses them. The shelf was bursting. I never told him to throw anything out. I just unpacked a tub and held each item up and he either said to keep or toss. Not a whole lot came out of the tubs but when we hit the papers and magazines etc, we finally saw some progress.
Results - 2 big black garbage bags to go to recycling and 2 big ones to go to trash. Everything fits on the shelf. Success
We moved then to DS1's hockey gear. Camp starts in 10 days and we need to see what fits and what doesn't. I was crossing my fingers the whole time as last year he'd grown so much that it was a big pile of $$$ to replace what no longer fit. A bunch of things went to the garage sale boxes, some to the trash and we were left with a small list to replace, thank god.
I went upstairs to do dishes and in a bit got a call up saying 'do you want to do more?'
I was stunned but I moved quickly lest he change his mind.
So we headed to the dreaded under the stairs. It's been a catch all for all kinds of crap and storage for years. Most of the stuff is his so as much as I wanted to go down and just purge my heart out, it really wasn't my place.
It took 2 hours but ohhhhh the results.
- 12 bags to the trash (had to drive to the dump and pay to dispose)
- 7 bags to the garage sale pile
- we all need a chlorotriplon for the dust
- it's clean under there!! there's room. (for more stuff that was just piled in other places)
It was great to get this done. My garage is a mess right now filling up with things for the sale, but it's nice to see all that 'won't be there anymore' once we sell it.
And my husband....well his back is out today. Actually it was hurting yesterday morning before we even started. Every year for the past 10 years he has taken holidays the first week of August and EVERY year during that week, his back goes out. I swear he's like the August ground hog!!
6 comments:
Thats great your hubby was able to declutter so much! Rambo can't declutter with me home because I overwhelm him, lol.
It's crazy what you find when your not really looking for it! Once you start the decluttering process, it's almost addictive. What are your plans for the yard sale money?
I need $250 to be fully funded for the sectional I ordered, which is due in September. We usually make between $300 and $500 at garage sales so I feel confident we will achieve this goal.
I LOVE the feeling of de-cluttering. You have quite a haul for the garage sale! Snowflakes all around! It sounds like you will definitely make enough to pay off the sectional.
that is awesome that you got rid of so much stuff!!! (and stuff that is worth selling!) wahoo!
It,s a great feeling when you declutter, good luck with the yard sale.
Post a Comment