Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Spending the summer savings money

During the winter, one of my savings goals was to put aside $1000 for summer 2010. I wanted to have some money so that if we went somewhere or the boys wanted to do something, there was a pool of money to support that expenditure.

I always leave summer feeling guilty that I haven't given my boys a ton of camping at the lake or a trip away somewhere.

So this helped. It wasn't enough to go somewhere fancy, but it was enough to add little bits of flavour here and there to break up the potential monotony of summer days stuck at home.

With summer halfway over, I have spent $600 of the $1000. Here are some of the things I have spent money on:
  • provincial park season pass
  • money towards their tenting/fishing trip up north
  • money to my sister/brother in law for boat gas that gave the boys a chance to tube and wakeboard
  • golfing for 3 and a cart at the lake course
  • dinner out when we went car shopping in the city
  • a weekend at the provincial soccer finals
  • dinner out yesterday up north when we dropped DS2 off at scout camp
  • gas for some of the out of town trips
Gas has taken up a big part of it. As has food. Is that wrong? well when I didn't really specify what things were for, then, no, it's not really wrong. It does make me wonder if I should add to the summer 2011 budget that is specifically for gas, or just add to it in general.

I'm very very glad I saved up this money for summer though. I will absolutely do it again!

8 comments:

Jessica Fletcher-Fierro said...

Smart! I think those things are great and they sound like memorable moments for your kids. I should save some extra summer money for me next year! :)

Serendipity said...

It sounds to me like your kids are having a great summer! And it was great that you were able to plan far in advance and save. :)

Maureen said...

I think that was a terrific idea, you are giving them a great Summer and some terrific family times to take with them into adulthood which will hopefully sow the seeds to make them awesome parents.

TECHBUD said...

Not having a summer vacation fund for this year :(, I just spent a week vacation or stay-cation with the family and spent under $100 and still had a great time.

jpkittie said...

That is super smart that you saved up that money with summer in mind! we have added a new line item in our savings for amusement park passes - we have really enjoyed going this year & think it will definately be a good thing for next year as well - so we changed it now ;)

The Asian Pear said...

I don't think it's wrong at all. you earmarked SUMMER 2010. It's for gas and food for trips spent during the summer for fun trips and whatnot. It's totally okay. I think this was a fabulous idea & you got to do so many things. And your budget isn't broken.

Girl Makes Cents said...

Great idea to save for the summer. I also think it's okay that you are spending on gas and food. Those do add up too. If you wish that you could be spending the money on other things then maybe you can contribute a bit more next year to help cover some of the gas expenses. It's nice to see you have already done a lot of things!

Jolie said...

Thanks everyone. It sure can go quickly but I'm so glad I saved for it.