On Friday I had posted a comment on a great blog entry (whose addy I can't remember). The author had commented on how important it was not to forget the once a year fees that come up such as AAA(CAA in Canada), insurance etc. I had added Costco to the list as one I set aside.
I went there Sunday when I was away for conference and was surprised to find the man at the register tell me that my yearly fee needed to be paid. I KNOW I paid this in July when I was in the city and stopped there. Sadly with no way to prove that at this juncture, I sucked up the $55 and had it added to my bill.
It bugged me the whole way home. I can distinctly recall going in and heading to the customer service line up to renew, telling my boys I'd be right there. I remember the door person saying "oh you can just have that added on at the till now so no need to stand in this line", and I can remember them adding that to my bill when I checked out.
When I got home I checked my bank accounts records (thank god I keep these now) and sure enough there was Costco on my account for the date in July but just a number that included the fee and the groceries I bought. NO way to prove from that, that I paid for membership.
sigh
I am pretty sure I did not keep the receipt though I will look when I go home today. It probably never occurred to me to keep it when the bulk of it was for peanut butter, cheese, cereal etc.
I will try phoning there this week and give them the date I was there and ask them to check their records to see if my account was paid up that day, but I have a sinking feeling about it.
Sigh
So a powerful lesson has been learned. When visiting places where the yearly fee is not a separate paper and is just added on to all the stuff you are buying, KEEP the stupid receipt, even if it is for just groceries and Toilet paper.
Tuesday, Nice weekend!
1 day ago
No comments:
Post a Comment