Here is a list of a few things that he and I split the cost on to get him back to hockey country.
- $50 for windshield replacement. Big rock chip on his way here in the spring that cracked in all directions. Package policy pays for all but the deductible of $50
- $55 new wipers for the windshield. They were tattered and needed replacing
- $100 oil change. Synthetic oil will last him for most of his year down there. who knew synthetic was so costly?
- $85 suit cleaning. Now he is all freshly pressed for their 'must wear' suits. Grandma was super excited to iron his dress shirts.
- $7 car wash before he goes. DH insisted on it. I am thinking it's going to pick up a bug or two in the 17 hour drive
- $140 US DS is breaking the drive up in two. He loses an hour due to time change en route and found himself beyond exhausted last year. Hotel we use at the break point was booked. And all the neighbouring hotels. Something exciting must be happening in that city tomorrow night. After 14 phone calls we gave up and took one that costs way too much.
and that doesn't factor in any of the actual COLLEGE costs :-)
One more year
4 comments:
I bet you'll be glad when he's done school for good, as will I when our college boy is finished.
So far here is what I've had to spend this month....
$760-our part of his tuition/fees(He's taking out loans his last year.)
$373-books(so far, still need to purchase the last one)
$200-the rental moving van to move his stuff/furniture(which we'll have to rent again in Dec. to move him back home)
$300-for food(this is only the first we'll send)
$1120-rent/4 months(This is a bargain compared to his living in the dorms the last 3 years so I am NOT complaining!lol)
I am counting the days until ours is off the family payroll. 8-)
Oh and in two years I'll get my last year of four years worth of moving into college life "fun." Thanks for sharing ladies-it has been four years since daughter 2 went off to grad school, all on her dime, so I have forgotten how that last week adds up with all the odd costs and contingency plans. I recall spending nearly a hundred after moving them into their dorms getting them snack foods, cereal, and bits forgotten-after having spent so much before leaving home. The hotel, pricey as it was, will give you peace of mind and that is priceless.
Those days are over for me, thankfully but feeling your pain. All of the miscellaneous costs truly add up to a huge amount. I was able to help Kazi out each year of university but she still had to get some student loans which she is still paying off. She was 10 years old by the time I paid MY students loans off!
I'm super scared of that phase of life! We are saving for retirement & college the same time, but hoping the cash flow everything but tuition during college. Maybe that's unrealistic. :-(
Post a Comment