Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Oh Christmas tree




As I sit here sipping coffee (which may contain Baileys) beside my lit up tree, I don't have the heart to tell it that tomorrow is it's last day. The needles are dropping everywhere and as adorable as it is, it's time to go.

We have had a real Christmas tree for 98% of the holidays DH and I have been together. At first it was a habit, and then it was a fundraiser through hockey. The old, buy from us now and when your kid is at Pee Wee we will buy from you too.

I always felt guilty going to bed early when he's just sitting there, twinkling ever so prettily. Time is short with him so often I fall asleep on the couch, just for a little while, with just the glow of the tree.

He is the promise of family and togetherness and excitement. And days off from work. and not knowing what day it is.

Mr. Tree is the promise of too much food and sleeping in. Of just forgetting for awhile and staying in your jammies all day if you want. Of the heartbeat of my boys.

Of endless movies on in the background and losing myself in a book, and hockey hockey hockey

Once he comes down, it's like a giant neon sign blinking "reality sets in". Cleaning. sorting. budgeting. planning. school. yeah school. and marking. and planning there. and heavy thoughts about money. and health.

But back to the tree.....at least for one more day.  And the heartbeat of my boys.

I have DS2 for a few more days.

DS1 flies back to the US tomorrow. One more day with him and then he's gone until June.

My time with them is no longer quantity. but oh how I appreciate the quality.

And the twinkling lights of my little tree.

2 comments:

Daybyday said...

Incredible post. I took the ornaments off today and was a bit melancholy, now I realize why. Thanks for this post.

Jane said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Christmas by your tree! I had to go to Plan B as well this year as my sister-in-law who was hosting the meal became sick with vertigo and a sinus infection. So with little time to prepare I had my other brother over as he lives alone and threw together a Christmas dinner for him, myself and Kazi. It turned out just fine even though I didn't have all the fixings that she would have had. We were stuffed and satisfied and that's what matters.